Twenty-Seven

Rafa couldn't sleep.

It nearly gave Abdur Rehman a heart attack when he woke up for Fajr and saw her sitting, her back resting on the headboard, hair all over the place. Her fair skin glowed an eerie white under the shadow of the moon.

"You alright?" He asked, terrified but trying to play it cool by wiping the sleep off of his eyes.

She didn't answer right away. It prodded him to move closer to her, he kissed her forehead and waited for her to answer.

"Yes. I couldn't sleep," she replied, her lips trying to fathom a small smile.

He nodded, taking her words in," You are not sick, are you?"

"I am fine, Abdur Rehman," she shook her head, standing up, "Let's pray Fajr. It's almost time."

He followed her, laying out the prayer mats while she did the wudhu, and she opened the curtains to let in the fresh air. The early morning breeze made the room's temperature cool down and ever so slowly, sunlight started to spill through the crevices between the curtains.

"What is your schedule for this week?"

"I have the afternoon shift," Rafa replied, folding the mats and putting them in the closet. "Do you leave at 9?"

"8.30. I need to drop Mahad at the service station to pick up his car," Abdur Rehman went inside the walk-in closet to grab his office clothes. "You should get back to bed, Rafa."

Rafa silently walked to the side of the bed and lay on it. She was staring at her husband's side profile, how his skin blended into his muscles, his biceps always in contraction whenever he moved his arms. Her eyes scanned his long-bearded jawline, even from the side, she could see the scowl on his lips. He was confused, she could tell. "Rafa, which one goes well with my light blue shirt?" Abdur Rehman turned just in time to meet her eyes which were already focused on him.

Rafa scrutinized both the ties, both were dark in color. One had a black pattern of some sort while the other had white stripes. "That one," she pointed to the blue and black tie.

Abdur Rehman nodded, placing the striped tie on the drawer, he walked to her with the selected tie resting on his arm. Even when the problem had been sorted, the scowl on his lips remained intact. "You love to sleep, Rafa. Are you sure you are feeling well?" he caressed her cheeks, his forehead creasing in concern, "You have been acting unlike yourself for a few days now."

Hearing the care that dripped through his voice, Rafa felt her throat clogging, "I am alright, my dear," she replied, grabbing his finger and hugging them to her blossom, her eyes closing to stop the tears from spilling. Yet the end of her eye was soaked wet, the teardrops rolling over her nose.

It worried Abdur Rehman but he stopped himself from prodding her to confront her worries to him. Instead, he used his other hand to stroke her hair until she fell asleep.

 Instead, he used his other hand to stroke her hair until she fell asleep