Thirty-Four

"You know, Rafa, I love it when you're near, and I love every touch of yours," Abdur Rehman whispered, melting her heart. "But if you don't let go of my hand, we're going to crash into a tree."

As soon as she let go in surprise, Abdur Rehman used his newly freed hand to maneuver the steering wheel and drive down the winding road.

"You're such a meanie," she whispered in mock hurt. He laughed out loud at her reaction.

The salted breeze of the ocean gently slapped across her face as they cruised down the Pacific Coast Highway. With her window rolled all the way down, she gazed at the numerous stores in their way. Art galleries and cafes and boutiques. It was like viewing everything anew, proving to her how important one's state of mind was. When the soul was happy and content, everything felt peaceful and lovely.

"What do you wanna do when we go home?" She asked, leaning into the passenger seat and glancing at him.

"I dunno, whatever you want to do."

"I want to sleep. That's all this baby makes me want to do now," she whispered. "Can I just go to sleep and wake up when it's time to del—"

Abdur Rehman's phone rang, cutting her off.

"It's Mom," she announced, looking at the screen.

"Yours or mine?" Abdur Rehman asked teasingly.

She rolled her eyes at him and answered the call on speaker.

"Abdur Rehman?" Tayyaba's voice crackled on the other end. "How's it going with you both? When are you coming back?"

"We're on our way, Maa."

"Alright, perfect then. Would you please grab something from Porto's on the way back? Badr and Tahmeed are coming over to visit Rafa."

"Badr?" He clarified.

"Yes. So stop over and get something from Porto's, you know her favorites."

"Yes, yes I do." There was a smile in his voice. He glanced towards Rafa when the call ended, "You're going to love her favorite guava and cream pastries." There was excitement in his voice, but Rafa's response was a scowl. "What is it?" She had been as bright as the sun only minutes ago, and now she was resembling a cloudy evening.

"Nothing." She shook her head, dismissing his worries.

He took his eyes off her face to look at her belly, then he nodded to himself. Mood swing, probably.

A detour and a traffic jam later, they pulled up to the house at the same time as Badr and Tahmeed.

"Assalamualaikum, congratulations!" Badr said in the same breath. Her arms went around Rafa's, pulling her in an embrace. "We came as soon as we found out."

"You found out just now?" Rafa asked in puzzlement after replying to the Salaam. Did dear mil not know how to tell her son's ex-lover of this news?

"We were in Pakistan."

"Come on in," Abdur Rehman said, ushering them towards the door where he was at once greeted by his mother. Tayyaba was ecstatic, Rafa could tell with how the grin spread across her face and never left.

"It feels like forever since meeting you, meri Bachi!" she exclaimed, hugging Badr.

"Aur beta, how are you?" She asked Tahmeed, patting him on the shoulder.

They took their seats in the living room. While Abdur Rehman sat down with them, Rafa hurried to her room to use the restroom and freshen up. She was suddenly feeling sick. The morning had started off perfect, but now it was becoming annoying.