Four

Rafa closed the door of the pantry, balancing the ingredients in her hands so as to not let them fall over the marble floor and make a mess

Rafa closed the door of the pantry, balancing the ingredients in her hands so as to not let them fall over the marble floor and make a mess. Yahya, who was rushing down the stairs for breakfast, ran towards her.

"Careful," he cautioned, taking a package of flour and baking powder from her hands.

Once they turned the kitchen aisle, Rafa placed the contents in her hand over the counter, wiping invisible sweat from her forehead.

Her eight months old cat Meenu followed them, becoming a part of their two person party.

"Thank you." She tried to ruffle Yahya's hair while he groaned and jerked away from her reach.

"I have told you countless times to not touch my hair, Rafa."

"I don't understand the craze boys have over their hair. We girls, have them long yet we complain less compared to you guys," she teased, shaking her head and running her hand over Meenu's silky fur. She massaged the cat, giving it her love.

Yahya rolled his eyes, "Do you know girls cry more for hair loss than the loss of loved ones?"

"Can't disagree on that part," Rafa agreed with a chuckle, pulling a glass bowl from the cupboard and placing it in the middle of the white counter. "Can you grab me some measuring cups?"

"Get off the counter, Meenu," Yahya commanded before he hummed, walking across the pathway to the other side where they kept measuring cups and other baking utensils. The cloudy marble floor gleamed under his bare feet, the surface cold and smooth.

"What's the occasion?" He asked, taking a couple of cups and spoons, "Do you need the baking tray too?"

"Yup! Along with the baking sheets." Rafa winked at him sheepishly.

"Just because I am lending you a hand for help doesn't mean you can order me around. I am your big brother for Allah's sake, have some respect," he reminded, opening up a cupboard and reaching inside the abyss.

"If big brothers don't help younger sisters then who will help? Roadside vendors?" Rafa blinked her eyes innocently.

Yayha shook his head at her antics, placing the things in his hand near her. "Again, what's the occasion?"