Seventeen (Part 1)

His heart hammered in his chest as he raced down the highway, his moistened hands gripping the steering wheel as if his life depended on it

His heart hammered in his chest as he raced down the highway, his moistened hands gripping the steering wheel as if his life depended on it. Worry and fear clogged his head, numbing his senses and Rafa's comforting words. Each second that ticked by felt like forever, and he could not wait to be next to his mother.

"She'll be okay," Rafa assured him, staring at him from under her tired eyelids.

He didn't reply back, instead keeping his eyes glued on the road without blinking. Like a bullet the car sped through the deserted road and towards the brightly lit skyscrapers approaching them. Taking a sharp right, Abdur Rehman took the exit ramp and went towards the familiar buildings Rafa often considered her second home.

The warm lights of the hospital structures illuminated the night, lightening their path as they pulled away from Rafa's place of employment and towards the one Abdur Rehman and his mother came for their treatments.

His legs couldn't have been faster as he raced towards the Emergency Unit, Rafa trailing behind him in her black abaya and floral hijab. Earlier when they had received a call from Manahil that their mother was showing symptoms of a heart attack, Abdur Rehman had started to leave when Rafa insisted on coming along. Due to the need to be quick, she had thrown on her abaya over her night suit, though Abdur Rehman chose to remain in the cotton pants and t-shirt he had been sleeping in.

"How is she?" He questioned as soon as he spotted Manahil sitting at one of the benches with Muneeb and Mahad.

His sister melted into his arms, equally distressed and in a disheveled state.

"It was an angina attack," Mahad assured him, stepping forward to place a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

Abdur Rehman's first call after learning his mother was en-route to the hospital was to Mahad, who would have been quicker to arrive at the hospital compared to his own thirty-minute drive from the hotel by the sea.

"They're running some tests right now, but she'll be okay," Mahad informed, his tone tender.

"Thank you," Abdur Rehman whispered gratefully. "I was-I was afraid we would lose her too." His arms tightened around his sister, who like him, was recalling the moments when their father had suffered a similar fate.