Chapter 1: Violet

Violet's POV:

My breathing was erratic and my tiny palms were shaking, but with all my might I tried to will myself to calm down and regain my composure.

A hand on my knee pulled me out of my trance of thoughts, scaring me in the process, I gasped in surprise and scooted away in my seat, only to see Madelyn's worried gaze on me from the corner of her eye as she was trying to stay focused on driving.

"Are you okay?" Her voice was soft, laced with worry.

I felt my muscles untense as I saw the kindness in her bright blue eyes.

"I-I'm okay." I stuttered, my voice barely heard.

In no time we were pulled up next to the curb, Maddy fully in her seat to face me. "Are you sure you want this, Violet?" she asked, her face doubtful.

Do I really want this? Yes I do. I was sick of being treated like a fragile porcelain doll that might shatter into tiny pieces from the slightest thing. I didn't want this, instead, I needed it.

"Yes, I want to go to school." I said, determination evident in my voice, I think that was the strongest I've ever been. I saw a smile blossom on Maddy's lips. "I'm so proud of you, Vi." She said, holding my hand in hers in an encouraging and comforting gesture. I couldn't help but return the smile.

Madelyn is my cousin, she was always by my side, she never left me alone throughout my days of living. She was a really supportive person, she was one of the main causes why my parents finally gave in and agreed to allow me to attend a normal highschool, to live my life like any normal teenager, but a voice in the back of my mind kept chanting it over and over again 'But you're not normal'.

I took a deep breathe and looked at Maddy, "You should continue driving I don't want to be late for my first day." I spoke softly. Maddy squeezed my hand once more then turned back to the wheel and we were back on the road.

"Oh my God! Violet, we're seniors! Do you even know what that means?" She squealed, excitedly. Another thing about Maddy is that she has her affectionate moments but otherwise she is a hyper active teenage girl.

"Um...No?" I said, timidly.

"We're going to rule the school, we get all the priorities and no one can tell us no! And we can boss others around." She sighed, almost dreamily.

"M-Maddy we both know that I wouldn't be doing any of these things." I mumbled fumbling with my fingers, as thoughts started flooding my mind sending it into overdrive.

What if I mess up? What if the students don't like me? What if I have a panic attack in the middle of the hallway? Or in the class? What if Maddy gets fed up of me?

I didn't realise that I was gasping for breath and my whole form was shaking, my lungs were closing up and I started clawing at my chest. I heard the screeching of the car tires in the background but I was only focused on the pain in my chest and mind and how to stop it, I was in an emotional turmoil.

"Breathe, Violet, deep breaths." I heard Maddy's frantic voice in the back of my mind, so I complied. I focused the best I could on regaining my breath, to let the oxygen my lungs were begging for reach them, to soothe the fire inside me.

After what seemed like hours but could be no longer than 10 minutes I was calmed down.

"That's it, Vi. You're not going to school, I'm driving you back home." Maddy stated firmly.

My head whipped towards her. "No! Maddy! You can't do this, I need to go to school! Why can't you understand?" I yelled, outraged.

Maddy's face resembled absolute shock and horror, and I guess mine did as well. It was the first time I lose my calm and timid composure. I never yell at people, I couldn't, it always made me cry or have a panic attack when people yelled at me. My hand unconsciously covered my mouth as my eyes became the size of saucers.