25. Mustalgia

Anupamaa was a little slow since the morning and was all lackadaisical to go to college. She wished internally she could come up with an excuse of not going to college today and give it to her mind but there was none - sadly. The repurcussions of missing her lectures were weighing heavier than her fear.

"Anupamaaa.... Jaldi karo chalna nahi hai?", Vanraj called out and she sped herself up, picked up the bag and rode the pillion.

They soon reached college. He adjusted his helmet and turned to wave a bye at her but she was gone. "Bina bye kare chali gayi... Aise to especially ruk ke bye bolegi aaj ni? Ye auratein bhi na koi ni samajh sakta inhe!", he started the bike and rode away.

~

Anupamaa walked to her class slowly holding her bag tight and she didn't bump into Vishal anywhere and was relieved. When she entered Anuj noticed a little tension on her face and her pace that was faster than usual. He smiled and the lecture began. She had done her assignment and submitted it. She missed Devika all this while. She went to library in the free period and felt free with no one eyeing on her. Anuj, though secretively, was keeping an eye on her as asked by Devika but he couldn't understand the reason why. Devika hadn't picked up his call since morning.

The classes got over and she managed to catch a bus with a few vacant seats and got back home. She eased her mind out. She called and told Devika about how smoothly everything happened.

~

"Anupamaa...", Vanraj called her as they sat on the bed.

"Ji..."

"Ye kuch paise hain ghar kharch ke liye rakho... Baahar se jo bhi raashan aur samaan vagairah laana ho vo sab ab se tum hi dekhna... Dhobhi, akhbaar waala, doodhwaala sabka hisaab tum hi rakhna... Lo...", he passed her the money and she took it.

"Kar logi na sab dhyan se manage? Acche se?", he asked as if doubtful.

"Ji main sambhaal loongi..."

"Aur ye ghar kharch ke paise hai... To usi me kharch karna please... Idhar udhar nahi... Tumhe kabhi kisi cheez ki jaroort ho to mujhse alag se paise le lena isko alag kar ke rakh lo... You know I have limited salary... Ghar ke itne kharche, Moti Baa ki dawaaiyan bhi hoti, Dolly ki shaadi ke liye b-"

"Sshh!!", she placed her finger on his lips. "Aapko mujhe itni safaai dene ki jaroort nahi hai... Main kya samajhti ni hoon kya ki aapke upar kitni zimmedaariyan hain? Aap chinta mat kariye main sambhaal ke kharche karoongi...", she assured.

"Hmm... Thankx...", he kissed her forehead, she secured the money in the almirah and they went to sleep.

~

Classes got almost over but Vishal was nowhere to be seen. She wasn't much investigating around but she knew he wasn't nearby and these few days that she had spent without his presence were comforting her.

Anuj was watching her from a distance as she walked slowly towards the library and she suddenly turned and their eyes met. His face turned stoic. This was happening for the third time since morning and he felt ashamed worrying what would she think of him. He bowed his head down and she walked away saying or thinking nothing. He slapped his head at that awkwardness.

She sat on a bench under a tree. It was lunch time and she missed Devika. She didn't feel like eating anything and her lunch was lying as it is in her side bag. Anuj was standing aside noticing. He felt like going to her and ask her to have her lunch but wondered if he would be able to resist his emotions after getting to talk to her. He didn't want to test himself.

Dikshant was passing by the area and he hadn't gotten the chance to have his lunch either. He was hungry and he saw Anupamaa sitting all alone on the bench. She looked a bit upset and the lack of company wasn't uplifting her mood either. She was tapping her heels on the ground underneath and the wait felt heavy. Dikshant looked at his lunchbox and then at her. He walked to sit by her. She corrected her saaree and slipped to the far end of the bench. He smiled at her reluctance which he had always failed to understand and today was no different.