4. Letting Her

Anupamaa stood at the chaukhat of the Shah House waiting for aarti and other rituals to be done. He looked at her through the roof of his home and would observe her as she fidgeted her hands badly.

'Is she nervous or happy or sad... Her eyes have swollen of intense crying... She loves her mom and brother so much... But they live 2 lanes next to hers... Still she cried... Such a child!! Why cry when... She could go there anytime... They could come to meet her any day of their choice. She'll have two homes... How lucky of her!!', he said as he felt happy that she doesn't have to get a lot away from her family.

"Kitnii pyaari lag ri hai meri bacchiii!!", Moti Baa said as she came with aarti ki thaali in her hands and performed it.

She pushed gently the kalash, set her feet in the huge thaal. Her feet soaked all red and she set them on the white cloth. She got disbalanced in nervousness.

"Anu...", something in him shouted but something in him stopped him from saying that out loud as he stretched his hand but pulled it back when...

"Sambhal ke!", Vanraj held her elbow. She got red on receiving his touch for the first time.

"Ahemmm!!", Baa cleared her throat as she looked at Anupamaa.

Vanraj left her elbow quickly and she blushed till Baa said something that replaced it with shame. "Thoda sabar kar lo... Ho gayi hai shaadii... Kamre me jaane tak kar lo intejaar...". Her words were supposed to be jolly in nature that are said to tease the newly-wed but Anupamaa felt Baa's eyes fixating on her while she said that making her feel conscious. She lowered her head down.

"LEELA!!! AAO BACCHON...", Moti Baa welcomed them in while others smiled at Baa's words.

She walked in and disappeared from Anuj's vision. He ran down to his room. He hadn't heard the conversation though just the scene.

"Anujj... You okay na beta?"

"Yeah Dad...!!!"

"Tell me if you need something...!!"

"I don't need anything right now.", he locked his door from inside. 'If I could go on without her I could go on without anything else... Huh! I don't need anything.', he murmered.

He touched the wall behind the headrest of his bed and difficult as it was for him to say but he still repeated in his mind, 'So... That's your new room haan Anupamaa...'.

~

The rituals went on and on. He took out rings from milk 3/3 times.

"Ab to lagta hai bhaaaiiii ki chalne waali haii ghar me.", Dolly, Anupama's sister-in-law, teased them.

'Kya phark padta hai... Kisi ki bhi chalein... Prem me to dono barabar hote hein ne... Aur riste me bhi... Dono... ekdum baraabar... aur humara rista bhi aese hi hoga...', she thought to herself and blushed with a heart tearing innocence.

"What happened Baa!!??", Vanraj asked Baa as he saw her go to sit on the couch and press her temples tightly.

"Bas jara sa sirdard hai... Par mein theek hoon... Tu meri chinta mat kar... Tu kar... shaadi ki rasmein poori kar.", Baa said.

"KAISI BAATEIN KAR RI HAIN AAP...", he got up from beside Anupamaa and walked over to her. Sitting by Baa he pressed her temples. Anupamaa stood aside as the family gathered around Leela.

"Jara si chaii mil jaati to...", Leela demanded.

"Ofcourse... Dolly just... A cup of tea please...", he asked her calmly.