22. The Myth Bubble

"Brace yourselves up and give a huge round of applause to the dancing diva of our college, the breathtaking sizzler classical dance performer and the winner of last year's Inter-College Dancing Competition... The shy and shining... ONE AND ONLY... ANUPAMAA JOSHII...!!!", Devika announced and a huge round of applause deafened all the ears.

Arunimaa's eyes shone at the mention. Being a dancer herself, she wanted to see her perform ever since she had heard all the praises for her from Anuj.

Anuj had already rushed to sit in the audience leaving everything aside. Devika announced and ran down to Arunimaa as there were still a few seconds for the curtain to open. Devika hugged her and sat on the floor in front of her all willing to see Anupamaa perform from the closest possible. She turned her head and saw Anuj sitting by Arunimaa. He sat by her on the floor. Their eyes glued to stage and the curtain was opening slowly.

Almost entire college had gathered around and most of the classes too had gotten over by then. Latecomers were standing outside the hall too, when they couldn't find a space in, all willing to see the performance of the one they have heard so much of. That was no era of video-recordings and not many had actually seen her perform. The noise reflected the wait of her to come on stage.

Vanraj's heart thumped as he saw the cheer in the audience at the announcement of his wife's name, which was so not something he would've thought of in the deepest of his thoughts. He didn't know how to react at it. He looked around and the hall was overflowing with people occupying every space possible. He was shocked to even think that it's all for her. He turned his head and saw Dikshant standing and clapping for her.

"Finalllyy!!! Anupamaa ki performance aa gayi yaaar!!! Aisa lag raha hai parda ruk hi gaya hai !!! Khul jaa sim simm!!!!", Dikshant said all excitedly.

He was right!!
The curtain had actually gotten stuck but a boy from behind the curtain was resolving the issue. It took a minute. Vanraj was judging - either Anupamaa or Dikshant or the entire crowd present there he wasn't sure himself. But also he was excited to see her dance to know what's so special about it that got everybody on their feet to welcome her.

"Relax Dikshant... Ab Anupamaa hi perform karegi... Sabar kar le thoda...!! Aur baith jaa...", his friend giggled.

"Tune kabhi dekha nahi hai na... Isiliye tere liye sabar karna asaan hai mere liye nahi!!"

Devika was holding the mic in her hands and Arunima was holding her shoulders as she sat in her feet. The teachers seemed pretty excited too as only a few of them were actually present in the competition in which Anupamaa performed. They weren't much willing to see the fresher's which was as per them a western concept in an Indian society but yet the willingness to see Anupamaa perform brought them there.

Anuj's heart was beating fast and the wait was hurting his patience. He felt like shouting AMAA YAAR JALDI SAHI KARO!!! But he resisted the urge. He licked his lips and pursed it too.

~

The curtains drew apart slowly and Anupamaa sat there in her opening posture.

As the audience got her first glimpse, it almost maddened and then Anupamaa's extended foot slowly drew a circle on the floor and she turned her face to the audience when the music started earning another deafening round of applause and hooting. She smiled internally.

Vanraj didn't know for a moment where to look at - the audience or Anupamaa.

Anuj, though, was sure.... Anupamaa's feet laden with ghunghroo looked beautiful. She got up slowly on her feet and tapped the floor twice. Silence fell over.