7. The Bubble

Anupamaa woke up early at 5 am the next day to avoid facing Baa's fury. She saw Vanraj sleeping peacefully and smiled. Hurried towards the bathroom and took a bath. Everyone was asleep. She offered her routine prayers when the newspaper guy threw newspaper in the aangan, it hit her shoulders and startled her. She shrieked a little.

"Sorryy bhaabhijii... Dekhe nahii hum.", he lowered his head as if apologizing.

"Koi baat nahi. Jai Shree Krishna.", she greeted with a smile and he cycled away. This was new to her. She opened the newspaper and Baa tapped on her shoulders from behind.

"Jai Shree Krishna Baa.", she touched her feet.

"Sada Suhaagan reh... Akhbaar padh ri hai... Accha hai... Par... Ye subah subah le ke mat baith Vanraj jaayega abhi office to usko tu apne haath ka khaana bana ke dena... Use accha lagega.", Baa advised her.

"Jii... Ji Baa... Mei... Bana doongi...", she say back and thought of completing the news she started reading..

"AREY... Ab baith mat... Vanraj ko utha de... Vaise to main hi uthaati thi par ab tu aa gayi hai to... Jaa... Aur uske kapde almaari se nikaal ke rakh dena jab vo naha ke nikle to... Aur khaane me uski pasand ka kuch banaana...", she said shutting the newspaper.

"Haa... Main jaati hoon. Baa!!??", she exclaimed.

"Kya hua?", she turned back again.

"Vo... Un... Unhe... Khaa...khaane me kya pasand hei aap bata dijiye mein voi bana dungi...", she asked.

"Chal mere saath mein bataati hoon aur samjha bhi deti hoon ki meri rasoi me kaise kaam karna hai... vo tere maayke jaise yahan haath rok ke kaam karne ki jaroort ni hai tujhe... yahan kisi cheej ki kami nai hai... bas khaana accha banna chahiye... ", she retorted.

"Baa... Aap... aese kyun bol rahi hain... mein", she retaliated as she felt bad about being remarked for the indigence her family was in.

"BAHU...! BAS HAAN!", she silenced her. "Aur abhi tere baapuji uth gaye hein to unke aur moti baa ke liye chaii bhi... Tujhe hi banaani hai... Adrak daal dena acche se.", she ushered her to kitchen.

"Ji...", she smiled and followed her.

~

"Anujjj... Get up beta... You'll be late for college...!!! ", she entered his room calling him out.

He wasn't in bed.

"Anujj!!??", she called again!

He emerged out of the bathroom. "Good Morning Maa. I am ready."

"Without me waking you up!! That's quite an improvement!!. I am proud!!", she patted his shoulder.

"Yeah!! Sure... Maa what do you think... would Anupamaa come to college today??", he asked hopefully.

"I don't think... Today... But maybe in a few days. She just got married two nights back... She'll adjust first. For a woman who leaves her home to settle in an all new environment... Things take time to normalise... Responsibilities increase...", she replied.

"Yeah you are right. Can you pack two extra parantha!!?? Devika will be sharing lunch with me.", Anuj requested.

"See... You demand tooo just like you little sister... I'll pack. Tell her to come home sometimes. It's been long since she last visited.", she advised him.

"So that you two can gossip about me right to my face...!? SURE MAA!!", he smiled.

~

"Inke liye kaun se kapde nikalun... Ye... Ni ni... Ye waala nikaalti hoon... Ye rang mujhe pasand haii... Inko hoga kya? Vese ni hoga to bhi to pehen sakte hein... Ek din... Meri pasand ka...", she placed a shirt out.