27. Keeping Under Her Hat

Anupamaa rested her head on Aruna's shoulders and had hugged her tight. Malvika sitting by them wasn't much sure as to what is happening but she looked at her mom who told her in a gentle eye gesture to be patient yet she was scared to anticipate something bad. Anupamaa had noticed it but there was nothing she could do about it. She was herself too vulnerable to heal someone else.

Anuj adjusted the mirror and spotted Anupama in it. She was still not looking up but on Arunimaa's lap where she was crushing her hands and pallu all fearfully and her eyes were still swollen which was making him cry but he resisted somehow. There was no conversation from any side and Manik focused on driving them back home.

"Kaaki...", Anupamaa said feebly and everyone's attention was drawn towards her.

"Haan beta...", she rubbed her hands.

"Pleass mat bataaiyega kisi ko... Pleass kaaki..."

"Par unhe pata hona chahiye na...".

"Please...".

"Accha nahi bataaungi..."

"Nai mujhe pata hai aap bata dengi!! Aap promise kijiye aap nahi bataayengi?"

Arunimaa exhaled heavily and looked at Manik in the mirror. He nodded in affirmation asking her to go ahead with the promise thing. "I promise I won't tell...".

"Hmmm... Thenk you."

None of them had much to say and the ride back home went silent. Malvika rubbed her arms and their eyes met when Anupamaa looked down feeling ashamed for being a pain for all. The car stopped due to slight traffic and she hugged Arunimaa close to her protectively.

~

The door opened and Arunimaa asked her to come out and throughout the way back, her heart was fluttering like a sheet. She took Arunimaa's hand and stepped out.

"Kaaki...", she whispered.

"Kya hua?"

"Main kya bolungi ghar pe ye saaree badal ke kyun aayi... Koi poochega to?"

"Sach bata do beta...".

"Main ni bata sakti Kaaki... Samajhiye ne..."

"Par kyun ni bata sakti? Tumhe darr lag raha hai to main baat kar loongi na..."

"Ni.", she didn't bother giving her an explanation that sound so rudimentary to her own ears that she didn't know how to tell it to others.

"Accha theek hai...... Tum... Kuch bhi bahaana bana dena jo tumhare mann me aaye... Abhi tum jaao ander...", she told.

Anupamaa still didn't leave her hand and Manik came from behind stroking her hair. "Jaao beta...".

She looked at him as if scared to step in. She still walked slowly but her steps stopped at the main gate and her hands trembled to unbolt the low-heightened iron main gate. She fidgeted her hands standing there while the other four waited for her to step in.

Manik patted Arunimaa's shoulders and she walked to her.

"Chalo aa jaao main chhor deti hoon tumhe.", she held Anupamaa's hands and took her in. They removed their slippers and Baa somehow heard the voice of her anklets and came out shrieking. "Wah wah wahh... Aa gayi!! Aaj hi kyun aa gayi kal, parso, ek hafta baad aa jaati college se... Yahan ki to koi zimmedaari hai hi nahi na teri t-", she saw Arunimaa too and her tone changed.

"Arunima Ben aap... Aaiye aaiye...", she welcomed her in and scanned Anupamaa's saaree. "Aur tu... Ye kaun si saaree hai... Ye pehen ke to nahi gayi thi!!".

"Vo... main...", she got scared after the welcome she got.

"Arey iski saaree par thodi chaii gir gayi thi to kharaab ho gayi thi... Main vahi thi zara kaam se to maine apni extra saaree de di thi change karne ke liye...", Arunima covered up.