32 Unlikely Friends

Start from the beginning

Her dad nodded in response to her question embracing her in comforting arms as he whispered, "Of course Janie, we'll be fine. You and the Alpha should go back to campus."

If only her father knew that she had no intention of returning back to campus to sleep in her dorm, she hadn't been there for a while now.

Wasn't it all these secrets that had gotten her family into trouble in the first place? She had to tell them, maybe not right now, but soon. She would have to tell them soon.

As Levi stood he offered his condolences to her parents assuring them that whoever was responsible for this would be punished severely. At least he could offer her parents comfort that what happened would be dealt with.

Following Levi out of the hospital, Jane didn't say a word to him. She wanted to though, she wanted to scream at him and hit him, demand he tell her why he was acting so cold and callous. But she promised him that as long as he drove her to the hospital she would leave him alone and that's what she was going to do.

Staring at his back she couldn't help but feel annoyed at herself for allowing him to hurt her like this. When did she allow him to get so close to her, she truly has no clue. But somehow the stupid jerk has gotten under her skin and now she's facing the consequence of it.

Stepping out of the hospital doors, she shivered against the cold air and watched as Levi made his way back to his car and she dejectedly walked in the opposite direction over to where the line of cab's were constantly coming in. Jane didn't even think Levi had turned back to look at her and honestly she hoped he wouldn't see her.

Jane was so caught up in stopping herself from crying and trying to keep her eyes on the line in front of her and not on her mate, she didn't notice Levi was right behind her until she heard his rather irritated tone right in her ear, "What do you think you're doing?"

"Getting a cab."

She didn't look at him, couldn't look at him.

"I can see that," Levi spoke as though he was trying not to smile. What was he doing laughing at her pain? Way to add insult to injury!

"I'm wondering why you're catching a cab when last I checked I have a perfectly functioning car just over there in the parking lot."

Jane rubbed her thinly covered arms as a wind blew over, "Yes your car not mine."

The tiny amount of playfulness she had detected in his speech was gone completely as he said, "Either you come willingly or I force you. It's your choice."

At that, Jane turned around to glare at him trying to focus on her anger over her grief as she ordered, "You don't control me. You don't boss me around. If you think I'm going to do everything you tell me to then you're going to be disappointed."

"And if you think I'm going to let you go off by yourself this late at night in a cab you're going to be disappointed."

The tension between them had built to a point where there was merely an inch between them. Jane's shivering stopping from the sheer heat his body was radiating, hearing nothing but her racing heart as it hammered away in her chest.

As close as she was, she watched as Levi's eyelids fluttered shut as he sighed, "Why're you so stubborn?"

"Only because you're such a jerk," she shot back, moments before her lips found her way to his. So shocked at her sudden brashness she went to pull away from him, when Levi groaned placing his hands on her hips and pulling her closer, deepening the kiss.

It wasn't by all means a sweet and slow kiss, there was too much emotion between them that it would ever be sweet and slow. There was too much need, too much hunger, too much frustration.