Chapter Three

•Elsa's POV•
That night, we watch the Illèa Capital Report. First, I see King Adgar, then the beautiful Queen Avalon. She is so graceful, and kind.

"Hey, Tooth, what caste was the Queen when she won?"

  Toothiana thinks for a moment.

"Ooh! She was a Five."

  A Five. She probably was a singer or musician of some sort.

"Do you know where she was from before she won?"

"She was from Cambridge."

"Oh."

    Then Anna shouts as she sees the prince. When I look at him, my jaw drops. Flowing, white locks. Clear blue irises that look like the ocean. And his smile...no, Elsa. You won't be picked anyway. And for all you know, he's a snobby, no good for nothing-

"Good evening, Illèa!"

   Marcus Làmaater, the spokesperson for the Report, interrupts my thoughts.

"As you know, the Selection is under way as we speak. Any advice for your son, your Majesty?"

King Adgar laughs. "He'll have his hands full, that's for sure."

The camera pans over to Jack, and he smirks. I can tell he is nervous, though.

"And what do you think, my Queen?"

She smiles. "Once you are chosen, your life will change forever."

Anna sighs as Marcus directs his attention to Jack. He clears his throat.

"Well, I-"

"What Jackson is saying is that he can't wait for his future bride to come to meet him. Right, son?"

Jack nods. "I'm sure they'll be very beautiful. And to you ladies chosen next week, I look forward to meeting you."

"Well, you heard it, ladies and gentlemen! This is your host, Marcus Làmaater, signing off. Good night, Illèa!"

The following week after the Report was absolutely crazy. More people had recently wanted Anna and I to do their laundry or clean their house, just in case their precious daughter was chosen. What's the big deal? It's just a stupid competition. Anna hasn't stopped talking about it.

The Selected were to be announced this Friday. It is Thursday. I can't wait for this to be all over so life can get back to normal.

That night, I get in exhausted from the hard labor. One house made me chop wood for their fireplace. I'm still sore. But they did give good money.

"Here ya go, Tooth." I give her half of my money from the day.

"Thanks. I'll put it in my savings."

Savings. For Anna to pay for college or just to move up a caste. She is a pretty good artist. I climb up into bed and pull the sheets back. I can hear Anna snoring loudly next door. I sigh. Everything I do, everything I make or save, is for her. To give her a chance at a better life. One I'll never have.