Chapter Twenty-one.

┊  ┊  ┊   ┊     ┊    ┊  ┊
┊  ┊  ┊   ☆     ┊    ┊  ┊
┊  ┊   ✬        ✬    ┊  ┊
┊  ★                  ★  ┊
☆                      ☆

"Elyana, room 4 is yours."

I shifted my gaze to Doctor Knavish, who had passed me the clipboard and placed it into my hand; I smiled broadly and nodded. "Of course!" I looked down at the clipboard to see Yukio Kanji's name. I raised an eyebrow at the familiar surname. I shrugged and made my way to the corridor.

I haven't spoken to Daichi or Rindou in days, and I'm not sure how long it's been. I've kept myself occupied enough that I didn't care about anything else. But, despite my efforts to stay busy, I can't help but miss them. I tried to stop them since they were two people I didn't want to lose, but I couldn't stay if they were about to kill each other.

Daichi hasn't been seen much in the clinic, but I'm guessing he was at practice and came when I left. Since I had no idea what Rindou was doing, I eventually put him on my shit list for questioning me.

While all of this was going on, I had Rune texting my phone the night I left Rindou's house. I hadn't replied to him in a while; he'd send me a good morning message, I'd respond, he'd say something cute, and I'd ignore him.

Rindou was the one I wanted to hear from, not him.

I considered texting him but decided against it because I wasn't going to apologize and shouldn't have to. There were moments when I would look at the money bags and just sigh, knowing that I still had to take care of them before Mom noticed.

"My name is Elyana Takeshita, and I'll be your nurse today." As I pushed open the door, my heart fell in my chest.

"What does this do?" Shion asked, looking at the otoscope.

"What in the hell are you guys doing here!?" I asked while I turned my head back and closed the door. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. On the chairs were Kakucho, Mochi, Koko, and Shion. A small boy sat on the table, terrified of the tools Shion was playing with.

"Wow, I didn't expect you to be here." Mochi blinked, "you work here?"

"Yeah, I work here. I'm studying pediatrics." Still clutching the clipboard, I crossed my arms. "Anyway, yes, I am Yukio's nurse for today's visit," I blew a bang out of my face. I took the otoscope from Shion's grasp and pointed to the chair, silently commanding him to sit.

Shion grumbled and sank onto the seat. I quickly checked the clipboard to see that Yukio had come in for a shot and a checkup. Because Akito wasn't here, I was Dr Knavish's assistant for the day. They got to witness me in action because I was allowed to work unaccompanied. "Alright, pumpkin. Yukio Kanji, age 10, blood type Ab+ and you're normal height and weight."

"Are you feeling okay?" I said, moving the rolling stool behind me. 

"A-Am I going to get a shot?" His body tensed up and his knuckles turned white as he gripped the bed, a look of dread on his face. I could tell he was afraid of needles much more than Ren.

"Let's not worry about that for the time being, okay? I want you to be as healthy as a stallion." I laughed, booping his nose. Yukio's face brightened slightly. "Does he have a phobia of...you know?"

"Yeah, every time. He even hit the doctor's hand before." Mochi confirmed with a sigh.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Koko muttered as he scrolled through his phone.