Ch. 3 Leaving London

Elizabeth walks down the stairs and joins her family in the living room. She thanked one of the soldiers, who took her luggage and put it in a military van with the rest of her siblings' belongings.

" Is everyone ready?" One of the soldiers asked Helen.

" We are ready," Helen responded.

" Alright. Get into the van. We are going to take you all to Kings' Cross Station," The soldiers informed the family.

Lucy went to stand beside her eldest sister and grabbed her hand tightly. She walked out of the house with her family and watched all of her nearby neighbors, mainly the mothers and children, get inside the military vans.

She heard plane engines and lifted her head, seeing the British Armed Forces planes fly past her neighborhood.

" Come on, Lucy. Let's get inside," Elizabeth ushered her youngest sister into the military van.

Lucy gets inside and sits between her mother and eldest sister. She watched Susan sit between Peter and Edmund across from them. She felt the military van begin to move, and she looks out the window, watching her childhood home get smaller and smaller as they leave their hometown.

" Mummy," Lucy turns her gaze to her mother.

" Yes, Dear," Helen looks at her youngest daughter.

" Why aren't you coming with us?" Lucy asked.

Elizabeth and her three siblings look at Helen and Lucy.

" Mummy has to ensure that our house stays safe from the War," Helen responded.

Tears welled up in Lucy's eyes.

" I am going to miss you, Mummy!" She hugs her mother.

" I will miss you too, Sweetheart," Helen hugs her youngest daughter and comforts her.

" I still don't see why we must live at a stranger's house," Edmund murmured.

" He's a friend of our Father's, Edmund," Peter responded.

" And he is courteous enough to let a young adult and four children live with him at his home," Susan spoke afterward.

" But in the countryside?" Edmund whined.

" Couldn't we live with Uncle Harold and his family?" He frowned.

" Edmund. Your Uncle and his family live in central London, where the War is severe. He and your Aunt is also sending their children away for their safety," Helen looks at her youngest son.

Elizabeth looked at her mother worryingly at the mention of her Uncle's children. She remembers her maternal cousins fondly, twelve-year-old Ophelia Scrubb and ten-year-old Eustance Scrubb.

' I hope they are okay wherever they are,' She speaks internally.

An hour later, the military van arrived at King's Cross Station in London, England. Elizabeth and her family exited the vehicle and helped the soldiers take out their luggage from the car and onto a train cart.

" Let's go, children," Helen ushered her children to follow the soldiers to King's Cross Station.

Elizabeth tightly grasped her youngest sister's hand with her right and held her youngest brother's hand with her left.

Edmund and Lucy walked beside their eldest sister because they were the youngest of the five.

Peter and Susan walked beside their mother and followed the soldiers to a ticket booth.

" They are the family of Colonel Abraham Pevensie," One of the soldiers told the employee.

Peter and Edmund looked awed when they heard their father was a high-ranking military official.