Forty Seven

We totally did not expect Madam Shamirah to be back so soon. I mean, she had been gone for two months now but I thought she'd be gone for at least six months - not that I've been to Mecca or even aware of what happens there but you get the point.

To cut the long story short, she doesn't look happy. For starters, Jeanette's cupcakes dominate the snacks booth and we all know that she never once permitted that. Secondly, she found Zion and I practically making out in the break room. If that doesn't scream being in trouble, I don't know what does.
Thirdly, Alex hasn't returned from his trip to Vidcon. So, everything is messed up. And everyone is on their way to getting fired.

"Jeanette," Madam Shamirah calls out, slowly and kindly as always. "I thought I could trust you with the running of the theater, what is this I'm seeing?"

"Ma'am-"

"It's my fault," I interrupt Jeanette. Technically, it's my fault that she even started bringing the cupcakes to the theater in the first place. It's also my fault that Zion was in there making out with me. "I'm the one who told Jeanette to sell her cupcakes here."

She turns to me slightly surprised. Jeanette is the one who normally did the talking.
"Why did you do that?"

"Well," I start playing with my fingers, "as you can see, Jeanette is uh pregnant and I thought it would be a good way for her to earn some extra money."

"Oh," madam Shamirah turns to Jeanette. "I didn't know you are pregnant. Congratulations!"

"Thank you ma'am," Jeanette responds.

The boss turns back to me. "Natalia, I know you wanted to help but what you did is wrong. In whatever you do, always remember to follow the right protocol before executing anything. Do you understand?"

"I'm sorry ma'am," I bow just a little and she nods at me. "Uh, I also would like to quit."

"Is it about the cupcakes? I have no problem with that, I wasn't going to fire you."

"It's not about that, ma'am," I shake my head. "I'm going to apply to design school."

"That's good," she smiles, "I wish you well then. You know you'll always be welcome here anytime after this, okay?"

I nod and exit the office. Phew. That went well, alright.

Jeanette comes out of the office later smiling, which means that the boss probably took the news of all of us quitting well. Jeanette can finally start her own bakery, I can go to design school and Alex can pursue his own career.

I can't help but feel so proud of us. Just months ago, nobody had plans to leave. We were all seemingly contented with our positions at the theater that not once did we think beyond. But here we are. We are gonna be great in the future.

*******

"We are going shopping," Zion announces when I pick up his call. He sounds more excited than me - well because he has money to spend and I don't.

He comes to my apartment a few minutes later, picks me up and drives us to a big shopping mall. I'm so used to buying things downtown that a mere look at the shopping mall feels like a threat to my bank account.

"We have so much to buy," he says as he parks his car in the mall's parking lot. "Are you excited?"

"No," I shake my head and laugh. "Why would I be excited about spending money? And you, why do you look so excited?"

"Don't be mad," he starts slowly. Now this means that he has done something ridiculously rich. "But I plan on paying for anything you buy today. I'm excited to spend my money on you for the first time."

"I'm not even buying so much," I wave him off, "wipe off that smug look."

"Not buying much? What does that mean?"

"I already have stuff. I'm going to design school not moving to the moon."

But Zion ignores my comment as always. He doesn't let me see any price tags, anything my eyes land on, he makes sure to make me try it. In the end, we've bought more clothes than what I already own, shoes that can fit in half of my living room, bags I don't think I'll ever use and if that doesn't seem ridiculous, you must revisit your dictionary.

He looks so unbothered, more of satisfied. He then drives to the farmer's market, commands me not to leave the car but I see him buying groceries. So much that I think he's gonna host a party or something.

Finally, he says that he's driving me home but even with the little brain cells I have, I know that this isn't the way home.
"Where are you taking me?"

"My apartment," he declares.

"Why?"

"My mum, Riley and Rosalia wanna meet you."

"Again, why? They've met me before."

"They've met you as Natalia, they wanna meet my girlfriend."

I groan but don't complain because I feel happy. He wants to introduce me as his girlfriend, of course it's a big deal. And the better part? The people he wants to introduce me too already like me, so, I won't have to impress anyone and there won't be any awkward dinners.

"So, who's going to cook? You clearly know that I can't."

He shrugs. "I'll cook."

"Wait, you can cook?"

"Uh huh."

"Since when?"

"Like when I was ten or something. Julie and I used to hide from our nannies and cook. That's how I learnt."

"And when did you last cook?"

He keeps quiet for some time and then answers.
"Two years ago."

Oh. He probably hates cooking alone too because of Julie.
"You don't have to."

"You're the first woman I'm gonna cook for y'know," he sends me a cheeky smile. "I can't wait for you to taste my cooking."

"Is it up to Gordon Ramsay's level?"

"Hmmmmm," he pretends to think for a short time. "Bold of you to think of another man in my car. Do you wanna be punished?"

Do y'all remember when Jeanette said Zion is daddy material? She wasn't joking lol.