Twenty

I pace in the hospital corridor for like the millionth time. The two nurses on duty glare when they see me pacing, probably because I can't seem to settle down.
It's not everyday that a crazy-rich woman collapses into my arms without warning.
Two hours later, the doctors say that she is stable but she hasn't waken up yet.

I just want to get out of here before Zion comes in. But I can't leave her all alone. I couldn't contact anyone because out of anger, I deleted Zion's number out of my phone, making sure to erase all the messages and call logs.

I know for sure that he will cuss me out and blame me for what happened. But what could I have done? I had no idea that there was a grand opening of a hotel near the theater and that they would blast fireworks as well.
More so, it's not that I invited his mother to come to me. Even if she asked to come, I wouldn't have let her.

"Where is she- Natalia?" Zion's eyes land on me as soon as he enters the corridor. He is panting and sweating, probably from running all the way here. His sleeves are rolled up to the elbow and his necktie is undone. "Where is my mother? What happened?"

Surprisingly, he listens to me with no interruptions. After I'm finished with narrating what happened, Zion doesn't get a chance to react because the doctor calls for him into his office.
Minutes after he leaves, a nurse calls me to Marble's room because she just woke up.

Without even knowing it, I smile because I can finally leave without getting reprimanded.
I can just peep and see if she is really doing fine and the walk away with no guilt.

I slowly - trying my best not to make any sound - open the door to her room. She is lying on the bed facing away from the door.
Perfect. Now I can leave-

"Natalia, is that you?" she calls out in a groggy but tired voice. Damn it! I am sure I didn't make a sound. Does she have eyes behind her? "I can see you from the window glass. You can come in."

Stupid. Stupid. How did this go wrong? Why didn't I think of the window glass?

Oh, right. It's because I never think through anything.

"Give me some water, will you?"

I finally detach myself from the door and do as requested. Her left cannulated arm is connected to the IV and it seems a little swollen.
"Is your arm okay?"

"Doctors always find it hard to find a vein, so, they pierce so many times to be able to find it," she winces. "This time, I think it was because I was also unconscious."

"Doesn't it hurt?"

She laughs and hands me the empty glass that previously was full of water. "I massage it once in a while. It gets better, don't worry."

"I can massage it," I blurt out.

Stupid, what am I saying? I need to get back to the theater and work!

Nevertheless, I slowly try to massage the arm with a cloth and warm water. She winces sometimes, other times her face shows the pain. I don't know why something in my heart constricts when I see her in pain.
I don't know so much about her but she has been kind, too kind actually.

I definitely do feel bad for lying to her all this time.

After some minutes, her eyes begin drooping and I take it as my cue to leave. I tear a small piece of paper from the IV bottle and write to her a quick recovery message.

It's the best I can do.

"Rest well, Marble. I hope you feel better," I wave at her from the door, in the same manner she was waving at me before she collapsed.

I open the door ready to run but halt in my steps. Zion is standing right outside.

He doesn't move and neither do I. His eyes find mine and neither of us want to look away. It feels like a competition where the one who blinks loses.
Not that it's a competition, because it sure isn't even though it feels like it.
Nobody says anything. Microseconds, seconds and even minutes pass without a single word uttered.

This is silly. I should go.

As if he is reading my mind, his hand immediately gets hold of my arm.
"Don't go. Please."

That's when I see it. Unshed tears. He looks so sad and vulnerable, leave alone the cocky and teasing Zion I'm used to.
I shouldn't be feeling bad for him though. He insulted me. He used me. He made me feel worthless and all those wicked thoughts that occupy my mind when I can't sleep. I shouldn't let him hold my hand like this because I surely want nothing to do with him. We parted ways.

But why can't I do that? Why won't I push him away? He deserves it and I know he would understand if I did it. Then, why am I letting him hold me like this?

Screw it, Natalia. You can't be weak now.
Walk away. Look away. Say something. Snap and yell.

"I have to go," I try to remove my arm from his hold with no success. Instead, his hold tightens and that's all it takes for me to sigh and give up.

Jeanette will be so angry. I know better than to mess with a pregnant woman but I also can't seem to leave Zion alone.
I may regret it later, but the words that follow next make me throw all the caution out of the window.

"I promise I'll pay you this time. Just don't leave me," he cries and this time, a tear comes out of his eye. He doesn't try to hide it. He doesn't hide the ones that follow either.

So, I hold him like my bank account depends on it.