Four

Madam Shamirah, who also happens to be our boss never summons for us. It's rare. It's not because we are excellent workers or because she neglects her business. She is friendly and normally answers our questions and complaints with the employees' board hence why we rarely interact with her.
She opens the suggestion box once each week and leaves all her answers pinned on the employees' board along with employee of the month announcement.

Out of the three of us, Jeanette takes the award every single month with Alex taking it 1% of the time and I've never got it.
Jeanette is twenty four, more mature and thoughtful, so, of course she deserves the award. She doesn't take days off, the customers love her and I think Madam Shamirah loves her too, although we may never know.

It's therefore no surprise that we are standing outside her office, shaking in fear and imagining weird scenarios in our heads.
What if she is selling the theater? What if she wants to fire us? What will I do? Do I have to go job hunting again without a university degree and bad high school credits?
"Please come in," the boss calls us in with her usual tender voice, the same one she used when she hired me.

I had walked around town for weeks, applying to libraries, coffee shops, restaurants, guest houses and bars with no success. I was on the verge of giving up when I saw the hiring sign on the theater. I have no experience with theater, I hadn't worked before in my life. But Madam Shamirah believed in me enough to hire me with no interview.

My workmates and I enter the office, a simple room with an office chair, table with stationery, a shelf of books, a couch and a few portraits of the boss and her family.

"Have a seat," she motions for us to sit on the couch. "How are you all doing? Is there anything I should know about?"

Being the mature one of the two of us, Jeanette takes the role of replying for the two of us.
"No ma'am. Nothing is wrong."

"That's good," she says, fixing a pin on her hijab. "I have called you here because I will be leaving town for some months and I am not sure when I will be returning."

My heart drops at the comment. Is she implying what I think she is? Are we gonna lose our jobs?

"Since I won't be back in months, I hope that  you three can take care of the theater on your own, can't you?" she looks up at us with hopeful eyes. Almost out of pure instinct, I smile at the realization that I won't be losing a job. "But of course, one of you has to be in charge of everything. Do you understand?"

"Yes ma'am," we reply in unison.

"Who do you propose should be in charge then?"

Alex's eyes and mine immediate turn to Jeanette. It's like she knows too because she raises her hand.
"I will be in charge."

"Very well, Jeanette. I trust that you will take care of the business as well as your workmates. Also, during this time, none of you is allowed to take days off because that will put pressure on Jeanette. You understand?" We nod in response. "If you don't mind, you can write a list of things you want to achieve. My family and I are traveling to Mecca as well and we will have all the time to pray for you."

"Thank you ma'am," Jeanette smiles at the lady. "I will bring the lists as soon as we finish up with them."

After that, she dismisses us after letting us know that our pay will be increased by 25% since we will be taking care of her business.

When I'm finally alone, I sit down and write a list of things I would love to achieve before I die.
1) open a clothing store and be successful at it.
2) make my parents proud.
3) experience love.

****

At around 10pm, we sit in the break room after the movie has been shown and discuss our schedule after Jeanette takes over as the manager.
There isn't much to say since there isn't much to do either and then teamwork between us is unbeatable.

"I didn't get to ask," Jeanette starts after we have drafted the work schedule and points at Alex, "how did you Valentine date go?"

Alex groans and hides his face using his palms. "I was hoping you all would forget that."

"Spill!"

"All I know is that there won't be a second date," he says with a soft voice, almost as if saying it pains his heart.

I gasp and reach out to touch his shoulder.
"What happened? Was it so bad?"

"It was going well," he says with a sigh, adjusts his position in the break room chair and resumes. "I took her to dinner, she was funny and I think both of us were enjoying it. But then, my idiot self had to fart. Fart in front of her!"

"That's horrible!"

"You should have seen the look on her face when it happened. She looked so disgusted," he finishes with a sad look, like a puppy that has been kicked.

"Have you called her since?" Jeanette says, pulling the sad man into her arms and he doesn't hesitate to put his own arms around the older woman.

"I can't call her. What would I say? Sorry for farting?"

"Then how are you so sure that she doesn't want to go on a second date with you? Did she tell you that?"

Alex shakes his head. "It's obvious. What does she want to do with me? I am obviously the opposite of what every girl wants, am I not?"

"Oh honey," Jeanette pats the crying man's back, "there is nothing like a perfect partner. We all choose one devil and keep sprinkling drops of holy water on it until it becomes holy too."

Alex looks up at Jeanette with a smile. "You think so?"

"I know so. When have I ever been wrong?"

Deep down, we know that Jeanette is never wrong.

Just then, the security guard comes into the break room, looks around until his eyes land on me.
"Some one is here for you, Natalia."

Don't forget to vote and comment.
Love you so much.
Tash