Chapter 22

Today had been a hectic day for Nikolai, though he had not managed to bring any meat from his hunt, he had managed to defeat three ugly-looking giants, and with a week's time, he would gain a new ability. The gains easily surpassed the losses.

' That ability to enlarge its muscles, increased strength and that Greyish aura looked cool.' Nikolai vividly remembered that ability of that giant.

As he arrived near the cabin, his nose picked up the scent of something aromatic, ' Something smells delicious.'

" Everyone! Nikolai the Great is home!" he declared as he opened the door, the heavenly aroma of meat pulling him to the kitchen where he saw that the table was being set by Rosseweisse and his sons.

" Looks like I'm just on time. "

Rosseweisse and his sons turned to him, with his kids quickly latching onto him, " PAPA IS BACK! "

He laughed at their antics, seeing them smiling like this warmed his heart; coming back to a place to call home with bundles of joy like them was worth all the fighting he had done during the day.

Rosseweisse smiled at the warmth this family produced; it reminded her of the times when she was just a little girl, eagerly awaiting her parents' return. These days, they were hardly present due to their jobs in Niðavellir. Sure, they still talked through online means, but it couldn't compare to talking to them in person.

" Oi, Rosseweisse. " Her name was called by Nikolai's voice. He was looking at her with a concerned expression. "You alright?"

" I'm fine, just remembered something. "

He placed his hand on her shoulder, causing her to jolt in surprise; he said, "If you have anything to share, please don't hesitate to do so with me. Who knows, maybe I could help."

' Such a nice man. '

" If I couldn't do that, what kind of husband would I be in the future, right, my beautiful wife? " He laughed at the expense of the blushing Valkyrie, who protested with a cute pout.

" W-what nonsense are you spouting?!" she protested, wanting to be angry at him, but unable to after seeing his beaming smile and confident demeanor.

' How can you say such things with a straight face? I'm just a bookworm and a nerd - two things that don't have any attractive value for women.'

She muttered, "I'm not that beautiful." hoping that he could not hear it, but he heard it anyway.

" Hahaha, you sure are a good comedian; you are the most beautiful person I have ever met in my life. And not just that, you are kind, smart, intelligent, wise, and you're even good with magic! " With a smile, Nikolai continued, "Like I said before, only a blind idiot wouldn't recognize your beauty. I'm even surprised you don't have any admirers."

There wasn't a shred of doubt in Nikolai's mind; everything he said was his honest opinion of her, though they had met only for a few days. He thought himself as a good judge of character, and all the things she had shown him were enough to solidify his claims.

' You think too little of yourself. '

" Well, I better wash myself first. "  He turned back and walked outside. " I can't wait to taste your cooking. "

He left the young woman in the room staring at the Slavic man, his words still resonating in her mind. "No one except Sigrun had ever said those kinds of words to me."

At the start of her Valkyrie training, she had put all her attention on her studies and training, pushing everyone away from her. Everyone who saw her commitment was too intimidated to even approach her; it was for this reason that she was left with no friends. That was until Sigrun entered her life; she was the elder sister figure who had helped her a lot. She was the one who taught her that there was more to life than just studies and training.