9-real life

Tw: Mental breakdown, suicidal thought. 

As soon as Pierre opened the front door to his and Charles' apartment, he knew something was wrong. He could hear muffled sobs and shuffling sounds coming from deep within the living room. Dropping his keys and bag, he rushed inside and followed the noises to the source.

There, on the floor, was Charles, having what appeared to be a mental breakdown. His face was red and tears were streaming down his cheeks. He was muttering to himself, his words barely audible, but Pierre could make out phrases like "I can't take it anymore" and "I'm so alone."

Pierre's heart sank as he realized that this was far from the first time Charles had suffered like this. His friend had long battled anxiety and depression, but he was usually able to keep it under control. Something must have triggered a serious episode this time.

"Charles," Pierre said softly, kneeling down next to him. "It's okay. You're safe here. I'll be with you." Charles didn't seem to register his friend's presence, still lost in his own pain. Pierre reached out to put a hand on his shoulder, and Charles flinched away as if burned.

"It's okay," Pierre repeated. "You're not alone. Just breathe with me, okay? In and out." He demonstrated deep breathing, and after a few moments, Charles seemed to hear him. His sobs eased a bit, though he was still shaking. Pierre stayed with him, speaking soothing words and offering comfort whenever possible.

It wasn't until an hour later that Charles's breathing evened out and he seemed to be in a better place. He was still exhausted and clearly shaken, but he was able to make eye contact and nod in response to Pierre's questions. "Can I call someone for you?" Pierre asked, knowing that Charles's mother, brothers, and therapist were all on speed dial.

Charles shook his head, making a pained face. "No. No one can help me."

"That's not true, man," Pierre said. "I know it feels like the worst thing in the world, but you're not alone in this. You've got me and so many other people in your life who care about you and want to help you. You just have to let them in."

They spent the rest of the afternoon talking and watching TV together, the tension in the air slowly dissipating. By the time evening rolled around, Charles seemed to be in a much better place, though Pierre knew he'd need to keep an eye on him in the days to come. He wasn't sure how much he could fix, but he was going to be there for his friend, no matter what.

Charles was finally feeling stable enough to talk about what had triggered it in the first place. He and Pierre were still sitting on the couch, each with a cup of coffee, when the topic came up.

"I was just really upset about...about Max," Charles said, his voice quiet and hesitant.

Pierre nodded. He knew that Max was the boy Charles had been crushing on for months now. He also knew that they had shared a kiss at a party one week ago, although Charles hadn't been sure whether it was just a drunken hookup or something more.

"What happened with Max?" Pierre asked gently.

"It's...it's stupid, really," Charles said, looking down at his hands. "But we talked after the party, and I tried to bring up the kiss, and he didn't remember it. He didn't remember kissing me."

Pierre frowned. "Well, maybe he was just drunk or something. You know how weird things can get when you're hammered."

"No, it wasn't that," Charles said, his voice rising slightly. "He remembered everything else from that night. He remembered what we had a fight about, that we talked, but he didn't remember kissing me. And it just felt like a sign, you know? Like if he couldn't even remember that, then it meant nothing to him. And if it meant nothing to him...then what's the point? What's the point of anything?"

Pierre listened, his heart aching for his friend. He knew that feeling of rejection all too well, and he knew how difficult it was to pick yourself up afterwards. He put a hand on Charles' shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Hey, listen. I know it feels like the end of the world right now, but it's not. You're so much more than just one person's opinion of you, and you know that. And as for Max...well, maybe he's just clueless. He's a guy, after all. We can be pretty dense sometimes."

Charles managed a small smile at that. "Yeah, I guess."

"And if he can't see how amazing you are, then that's his loss," Pierre continued. "But there are plenty of other people who recognize how special you are. Me included."

Charles looked up at him, his eyes brightening. "Thanks, man. That means a lot."

"Anytime."