27. Getting Out of There

Fan-flippin-tastic.

Sucking in a lungful of air, he tentatively opens the door.

All I see are wolves across the yard. Dozens of wolves. Brown, black, white, gray, tan, and all mixes in between, fighting and scrambling to get the upper hand over each other.

"Shift, and run home."

I look at him incredulously. "You mean my parents' place?"

"Yes," he shouts over his shoulder as he sprints forward. "Go fast! I'll cover ya!"

Swearing under my breath with Tamara running up behind me, I leap forward off the porch and shift as quickly as I can. Fuelled by adrenaline, I land on all fours with Tamara in her wolf form leaping next to me.

Catching her eye, she gives me a nod and we sprint forward after Evan. He's already disappeared ahead, but his scent lingers behind.

Most of the wolves are so preoccupied in their personal battles that they don't notice us until we're already in the forest. Even then, I can't tell who is on our side and who isn't. Staying close to Tamara and following Evan is my best option. They will know who's on our side and who isn't.

My muscles cramp, needing more time to morph and harden, but there is no time. We have to get out of there as fast as we can.

I glimpse Evan running ahead in the trees. With my senses are on high alert, I bark softly at Evan ahead, warning him that I smell a foreign wolf.

Yipping back at us, he kicks his speed up a notch and disappears into the wild overgrowth.

Tamara warns him to be careful and I whine in agreement.

Paws kicking up dirt, we run after him, trying to get as far away from the action behind us as possible. Soon, I'm aware of more wolves gaining up on us, but once I pick up their scents, I'm relieved when I recognize Marcus, Leah, and Brianna.

Where's Rick and Keith? I want to ask, but I'm too busy panting, pushing myself forward as fast as I can. I don't want my mate to get too far ahead, just in case someone attacks him.

The foreign wolf ahead turns out to be one of the Silver Star wolves. He looks us over, as if to make sure we're unharmed and then carries on with his mission.

We circle around the Mount Hood villages and slow down at a creek to wash away our scent, take a drink, and recuperate from the hard run.

Lying in the shallows of the creek, I let the gentle lapping of the water ease my tired muscles. While I enjoyed the run and feeling the wind whip through my fur, I really need to work on my endurance.

Evan trots up next to me and licks my muzzle affectionately. He whimpers in concern and I rise to my feet and shake my body free of water in response.

I lick him back. I'm fine.

We continue at a trot to Portland as the sun disappears under the horizon and darkness envelops the land.

Interrupting the chirps of crickets, we slip silently through backyards on the outskirts of town, looking for articles of clothing as we go. Marcus and Tamara find forgotten clothes hanging up on a clothesline that fit them at one house, but the rest of us have to hide in a small patch of trees while the two of them search in a donation bin at a small thrift store for clothes we can wear.

They come back to us with a shrug, holding out some articles for us. "These will have to do," Tamara says.

She hands a pair of shorts to Evan, that are too big and bulky on him, and sundresses that fit Leah and Brianna, but mine is clearly two sizes too large as well. Once dressed, we begin the long walk into Portland.