25. Ryan

Author's Note: Ryan's image is attached. Also, the attached song is not required to listen to while reading. It is a German song, and I attached this video version so you can understand the lyrics as they come up on the screen and why this song is "Ryan's song" (as well as any villain's song, haha). So yeah, I wanted to share this song that helped me write Ryan's scenes. ;)

----

A chorus of gasps whisper through the stillness. Even the crickets are stunned into silence.

My mouth is hanging open and catching flies, but I don't even notice. No freaking way! Keith's mate can't be one of them!

Leah snaps her fingers in his face, causing him to blink. "Pull yourself together," she whispers.

My heart nearly breaks when realization floods his eyes. His mate is with the enemy. If we can't resolve our land claim, what does that mean for her? She'll choose him and that will be it, right? No harm, no foul. Mates belong together.

Unless she rejects him like Megan did, a small voice in my head says.

My eyes drop to the ground as we start to make our way into the house. I feel my muscles tense up immediately as I pass through the doorway between the two guards. I try to take deep breaths to relax myself and keep my mind clear and focused, but my heart is racing too fast.

What if this is a trap? We can't trust Ryan after all.

I look up in hopes of finding courage in my mate, only to have Leah catch me. Her hand rushes up behind my head and pushes it down.

"Stay low," she utters under her breath.

Taking a shuddering breath, I do as she says.

I expect to have men jump out from behind furniture as we make our way into the kitchen, but there's no one there. The woman follows behind us and I refrain from looking over my shoulder at her. I can feel her eyes piercing through my back, sending shivers up my spine.

We enter the kitchen, but there are so many people in there already that Evan, Brianna, Leah, and I find ourselves squeezed between the wall and the table.

Four shirtless men bearing identical claw marks across their chests and tattoos are lined up along the counter behind the island. Their arms are crossed before them and their poker faces set to emotionless.

Sitting cross-legged on top of the island is a man with long, unkempt brown hair that falls a few inches past his shoulders. A thick, bushy brown beard covers the lower portion of his face, bearing a striking resemblance to his father, Marcus.

Unlike the other men behind him, Ryan is wearing a black T-shirt with his black cargo shorts.

My glimpse of him is cut short when his gaze turns from Rick to me and I reflexively drop my line of vision to the floor and the dirt we brought in with us.

The tension is so thick, everyone in our group looks like they're struggling to get enough air into their lungs.

When Ryan speaks, his voice is rough and grizzly. "Welcome back."

He hops down from the island and lands on silent bare feet. He goes to his parents first with his arms held open. "I've missed you all so much."

That does it for Tamara and she breaks down in tears. She goes to hug him, but Marcus pulls her back and positions himself between her and his eldest son.

It's painful to watch, so I keep my head down and choked back my emotions.

Marcus' voice is strong and unmoved. "What do you think you're doing?"