23. Twin Connection

I feel like I've been slapped in the face. My hand flies up to touch my lips. He didn't just say that, did he? "What?"

He shakes his head, pressing his palm to his knit brows. His voice breaks a little and comes out as a croak. "It was an accident. He lost control of himself and he killed her. She was a human, one of my classmates, and I... I had a crush on her. I didn't know she was his mate. We went to see a movie together for my eighteenth birthday and my brother confronted us. She was terrified and rejected him and... well..."

I'm gaping at him, at a loss for words. How can what he just said be true? How could Ryan do such a thing, not only to his mate, but also to his brother? What kind of sick twisted freak does that?

Rick is the first to break the silence that envelops the vehicle. "I'm sorry."

Evan leans his head against the window, keeping his gaze low as well. "Yeah, me too."

"So he took off after he killed her?"

Evan nods.

My throat has closed up and I can't find my voice. I open my mouth, but it just hangs there off its hinges before I think to close it and try again.

I want so badly to comfort him, but I can't even comprehend what he went through. I'm a little hurt at the thought that he had a crush on someone else before me, but I know I shouldn't because I had two boyfriends before him. How would I feel if I had a brother and he murdered one of them in front of me? Would I ever be able to forgive him?

How hard would it have been to witness the bloodshed? Would I have called for help, or picked up the body with my own two hands? How could I keep living, knowing that his life was lost because of me? Not only that, but I'd lose my brother as well.

I lower my gaze to my hands clenched tightly together in my lap. I can't be angry at Evan for not telling me. It's not fair to him. He's been through so much, it would be cruel to be angry with him over something that still causes him pain.

His brother is the complete definition of an asshole.

I look out the window as my mind lingers further on these thoughts. Soon, the dense wilderness of the mountains pulls away as houses begin to crop up on the terrain. The outskirts of Vancouver creep up and then we're in the suburbs and Rick has to reduce his speed.

The atmosphere of the drive is still a tense one, but it's more somber now than it had been only moments before. Everyone is lost in their own thoughts as the scenery and landscaping changes from rural to urban in a matter of minutes.

Soon, Rick is pulling onto a highway, directly into rush-hour traffic. He curses under his breath as he attempts to weave through the steady flow of cars.

"I want Emily with me," Alicia says, breaking the silence finally. "I don't want to put her life at risk. She's too young to be in a dangerous situation like this, especially as the omega."

"Agreed," Rick says.

"What's the role of the omega?" I ask. It's been something on my mind for the last little while now, but never had the chance to ask anyone about it.

"The omega is the lowest ranking shifter in the pack," Rick says.

"In terms of physical strength," Alicia adds. "They are stronger in other aspects which gives them importance in the pack. The omega is the emotional dumping ground of the pack, so they must be strong emotionally and mentally in order to handle everyone's baggage."

"Some packs treat omegas as slaves. Some are abused," Rick says.

"Those are unhealthy packs," Alicia interjects, giving Rick a stern look. "Most packs don't treat their omegas that way. Most omegas are regarded as sisters that you tell secrets to. They are the most trustworthy of shifters because their hearts are pure and their intentions good."