LXIII. Nulla salus bello

Start from the beginning

"Nakamura," Prometheus called. "The master would like to speak to you."

Ethan stood up warily. "Something wrong?"

"Better be." Draco said.

Prometheus smiled. "You'll have to ask him."

Alabaster cast Ethan a worried look, but Ethan wouldn't look at him.

Cassius snickered at him. "Nice knowing you." He said tapping his shoulder.

Daemon, Set, Lucifer and Khonsu also snickered.

Ethan readjusted his sword belt and headed into the warehouse, Cassius behind him

Except for the hole in the roof, the place was just as Aurora remembered. Statues of terrified people stood frozen in midscream. In the snack bar area, the picnic tables had been moved aside. Right between the soda dispenser and pretzel warmer stood a golden throne.

Kronos lounged on it, his scythe across his lap. He wore jeans and a T-shirt, and with his brooding expression he looked almost human. Then Luke saw Ethan, and his face contorted into a very inhuman smile. His golden eyes glowed.

"Well, Nakamura. What did you think of the diplomatic mission?"

Ethan hesitated. "I'm sure Lord Prometheus is better suited to speak-"

"But I asked you."

Ethan's good eye darted back and forth, noting the guards that stood around Kronos. "I.....I don't think Ashford or Jackson will surrender. Ever."

Kronos nodded. "Just my granddaughter and Jackson? Anything else you wanted to tell me?"

"N-no, sir."

"You look nervous, Ethan."

"No, sir. It's just...I heard this was the lair of -"

"Medusa? Yes, quite true. Lovely place, eh? Unfortunately, Medusa hasn't re-formed since Jackson killed her, so you needn't worry about joining her collection. Besides, there are much more dangerous forces in this room."

Kronos looked over at Nyx, Cassius and Knox in who stood behind him as his bodyguards. Then at a Laistrygonian giant who was munching noisily on some french fries. Kronos waved his hand and the giant froze. A french fry hung suspended in midair halfway between his hand and his mouth.

"Why turn them to stone," Kronos asked, "when you can freeze time itself?"

"Soon. My Lord" Knox said to him.

His golden eyes rolled before they bored into Ethan's face. "Now tell me one more thing. What happened last night on the Williamsburg Bridge?"

Ethan trembled. Beads of perspiration were popping up on his forehead. "I...I don't know, sir."

"Yes, you do." Kronos rose from his seat.
"When you attacked Jackson, something happened. Something was not auite right. Isabella jumped in your way."

"She wanted to save him."

"But he is invulnerable," Kronos said quietly. "You saw that yourself."

"I can't explain it. Maybe she forgot."

"She forgot," Kronos said. "Yes, that must've been it. Oh dear, I forgot my friend is invulnerable and took a knife for him. Oops. Silly me."