CHAPTER 5: SHADOWS OF THE VEIL(3)

"Everything alright?" Silas shouts.

"The engine is dead or something. I don't know what's wrong it worked just fine before" I get out of the car, slamming the door and dialing the mechanic. "Of course I get stuck here at night" I mumble.

"I can give you a ride" Silas offers "I owe you one" he almost smiles and it pisses me off that I might have to give in.

I look around for a car but I see none, but Silas steps away from me, going to his motorcycle.

"Of course you drive a motorcycle" I huff and throw my hands in the air because it's enough that I have to stand going with him, now I have to ride the most dangerous vehicle that exists. I hate this.

"You have something against motorcycles?" he raises an eyebrow, making it sound like a challenge.

"Yeah, they can cause death" I press my lips thin.

"So does your car"

"My car is safer"

"Ok, you can stay here waiting for the service, alone, near the woods that made you go cray-cray last time, or you can just come with me" he swung one leg over the motorcycle, straddling it effortlessly.

"Fine" I relented, mustering up my courage.

"Where do you need to go?" he asks me, as I'm still thinking if this is a good idea or I'll end up on national television.

"The carnival" I gulp with anticipation "and don't dare do something stupid, people are waiting for me" he's actually enjoying my suffering.

"Take this" he hands me the helmet and pats the seat behind me, waiting for me to get on it. "Don't worry, I won't get you killed" he grins as he puts his helmet, and I lay behind him.

"I hope this doesn't stink" I grimace at the helmet, looking inside it.

"I'm sorry I didn't have time to use glitter soap on it or whatever princesses like you wash themselves with" I actually used glittery soap in childhood but he doesn't have to know he's right. "Don't worry, I won't get you killed" he grins as he puts his helmet, and I lay behind him

"Just keep in mind this is the first and last time I'm touching you" I say before wrapping my arms around him.

"I'll count to three for you" he revs the engine "one, two" and he presses his foot on the pedal, taking off, causing my heart to leap in my throat.

"You said three" I yell, wrapping my arms even tighter around his waist.

"You must have heard wrong then" his laugh echoes in the wind and I'm sure his grin is as big as this stupid helmet.

The wind whips around us and the thrill of the ride begins to take over but I'm still counting the minutes until we get there in my head so it's easier for me.

As we get there, I dismounted the motorcycle, trying to hide my shaky legs from the adrenaline.

"Thanks, this is where we part ways" I try to sound like I'm thankful but I can't.

"You think I rode 'til here just to go home? I'm staying" he takes off his helmet, his hair tousled.

"Well, stay away from me then" I give him his helmet and get ready to take off.

"Why do you hate me so much?" he asks, genuine.

"Hate would mean I have any emotion towards you" I smile "you're just annoying and a stalker. Thank you for the ride, but we don't have to be friends now"