6 - hesitation

•❅───✧❅✦❅✧───❅•

Every rule I had previously laid out for myself in order for things to go smoothly went out the window as soon as these dwarves walked through the door. I couldn't help myself, it wasn't a want anymore, it was a need. A need to have genuine conversations with them, to laugh and sing with them, to get to know them, to be a part of these stubborn fierce loving dwarves. What am I getting myself into?

Though many were wary of me, a few let their curiosity get the best of them. Fili and Kili were by my side consistently.

We talked, told jokes and stories. They told me about Erebor and their childhood, and I mostly just listened. I didn't want to tell them much of my world just yet, the time would come soon enough. My favorite stories to hear about were them growing up, the pranks they pulled on Thorin and occasionally Dwalin were my favorite. It also made Thorin seem a little more humane, only a little though.

Thorin and Dwalin easily disapproved of the boys talking to me, they often would try to pull the boys away from me when they saw us laughing too hard.

The boys would refuse to leave my side. And I knew then, I had already started to break my number one rule: Don't get attached. I mulled this over as I stared into my untouched tankard of ale.

"Lyra."

"Hm?"

"Lyra." A hand shook my shoulder and my gaze snapped to it.

"Geez Fili, you scared me."

"We've been calling your name, you weren't listening."

"Sorry, just..thinking."

"About what?"

"Nothing important." I said, offering him a small smile. He glanced at me warily.

"Were you thinking about home? Or your family? Do you miss them?" Kili pestered, naming off several more questions all at once.

"Okay Kili, I know you have a lot of questions but one at a time." I said chuckling.

"Fine, fine let me pick one." He said, rubbing his chin, thinking.

"Okay, first question. Where is your home?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, debating on what to say. "I'm not gonna tell you much Karkith, because it's getting late and we'll have an early morning I presume. For now I'll leave you with this, I'm from a completely other world." I grinned at him as I began to get up to walk away. I needed to check on Bilbo. (Little raven.)

I already had to lie so much, I wouldn't lie where I didn't need to. Too much lying gets you caught.

"Wait, what? Lyra! You can't just walk away after that!" He exclaimed, coming to catch up with me.

"I need to check on Bilbo and talk to Gandalf, we have a long journey ahead. There will be plenty of time to talk." I walked over to a sitting area, where Gandalf and Bilbo were in a heated discussion.

"I'm sorry Gandalf, but I can't sign this." Bilbo said, walking out of the room.

I darted off after him. "Bilbo? Are you okay?" I asked softly.