chapter 29

A/N: I'm so sorry y'all; real short chapter. i just needed this to happen before the ball. ilysm guys, thanks for the reads and shoutout to the recent binge readers 🫶🫶

Fourth week of October, Wednesday

"Can I come in?" I asked after knocking at Cass and Alice's door.
"Yeah!" Cascina shouted back.
I opened the door and saw how their room was a mess. Clothes and shopping bags everywhere. Someone went to the mall earlier.
"Can you give me a hand here?" Cass asked, turning her back to me.
I zipped her up.
"What'd you think?"
"Your dress is really pretty!"
"Wait, I have a corset to put on top," she said, pointing to one of the bags.
She searched the bag.
"So what brings you here, Enid?"
"I was looking for Alice, actually," I answered.
"Oh, she's in the bathroom changing. Missy likes her privacy."
"I'll wait then."
"Ha! Found it!" Cass exclaimed, speaking of the corset. "Can you help me again, please?"
"Of course," I mumbled.
Just then, the bathroom door was opened, and Alice came out of it in a light blue dress.
"You are never beating the Alice in Wonderland allegations with this dress," Cass laughed. "GURL YOU ATE THAT!"
"I know, thanks," Alice smiled. "Oh hi, E."
"You're so gorgeous," I could only answer.
"No girl, you are! You're glowing today," Alice smiled.
"Do you know if Yoko is downstairs? I need her advice and opinion on this," Cascina asked as she gestured to her whole outfit.
"She was in our room the last time I checked," I answered.
Cascina nodded a thank you and exited the room.
"This is her second outfit, she bought three of them, with interchangeable pieces," Alice explained. "Anyway, what's up? You look really good today, serene."
"I broke up with Ajax."
Her eyes widened.
"Well, that's one thing."
Alice came closer and patted me on the back.
"I'm proud of you, kid."
She hugged me.
"This was the right thing to do. Now you'll see, I'm going to find you a nice plus one for Halloween and—"
"Oh, I'm still not going."
For once, she didn't insist.
"You're coming to the game after, right?"
"The whole treasure hunt thing, you mean? Yeah, probably," I replied.
"Nice," Alice smiled. "Something else you wanted to tell me?"
I thought for a second.
"Not really."
"Then, can you help me accessorize this? I could use your advice."
"Of course!"

"You know, I'm trying to get my life back together. I'm done being and feeling like this," I dropped while we were midst  the post outfit-composition Instagram photoshoot.
She changed her pose.
"So Ajax was step one?"
"Yes— wait I'm going to try another angle," I blurted out before she moved too much.
"Oh okay."
"And the worst thing about all of this is that I have bad skin because of the stress," I added.
She laughed.
"I have some really good creams if you want," she proposed.
"No thanks. I'm fine. It's healing."