Lake Where We Converse

It was evening, and the time for Tokaku, Jack, and Epel to use the Pomefiore lab had ended. The three friends cleaned everything inside the lab and restored the equipment and apparatus on their shelves before they left.

At the Pomefiore lounge, the three friends rested after a long time experimenting with Tokaku guiding them. They settled down on a pair of sofas with a coffee table separating them for legs to stretch. Their textbooks were placed on the coffee table. The three friends sighed in exhaustion, leaning against the cushions.

"Phew, who would have guessed a chemistry study group could be this exhausting?" Epel said.

"The heat in the lab is what exhausts us," Tokaku said.

"Well, there are no windows in the basement, so that's why we are sweating after using the Bunsen burner for experiments," Jack added.

"That's true," Epel agreed.

Tokaku then stood up from the sofa. "I am going to take a shower. You guys can either stay sweaty or return to your dorm rooms and freshen up."

"I agree with you. I am not good with heat, so I really need a shower now. I am heading back to my dorm," Jack said, also standing up.

"See you in class tomorrow," Epel bid him goodbye.

"Meet us on the main street," Tokaku reminded her friend.

"Sure, catch you two later. And before I forget, thanks for your teaching, Tokaku. It was truly helpful," Jack replied before leaving.

"You're welcome. Just go. You're stinking up the whole lounge," Tokaku replied in her usual blunt manner.

After Jack left, Epel sniffed himself and realized he smelled sweaty. "I definitely need a shower. You were right, Tokaku."

"I'm right. I'm heading to my room now," Tokaku said, leaving her lilac-haired buddy to go to his own room.

In Tokaku's room, she showered with warm water from the water heater. Watching the water vapor fogging up the bathroom suddenly reminded her of her past, a twisted plot that couldn't be shared with readers.

"I mustn't dwell on that," Tokaku thought to herself as she wiped her wet hair with a towel. She quickly got dressed and approached her ornate white Pomefiore desk, which could be mistaken for a royal working desk. She was about to pick up a case bag from the desk drawers when she noticed her smartphone on the side of the desk, reminding her of Jade's promise from the day before.

Meanwhile, in the Octavinelle House, the Mostro Lounge was bustling with customers as the Octavinelle students served beverages to the students from all seven dorms in Night Raven College. Jade was busy preparing drinks at his bar.

He could be seen struggling to get all the beverages in time for the customers' orders, though he looked calm and composed. After the last special drink was sent to a customer, Jade let out a sigh. He felt tired after running the bar for a long time without a break. He decided to finally rest as his break time approached. Heading to the lounge, where he would sometimes rest with Tokaku, they would sit on the same sofa and lean against the cushions together, relieving their bodies.

However, this time was different as Tokaku was grounded in the Pomefiore House. With no one to talk to or confide in, he felt like he was missing his crush by his side to chat with.

Alone in the lounge, as many staff members were scheduled to work at the Mostro Lounge, Jade reflected on the moments he and Tokaku would rest together when their schedules matched. He flashed back to the time when Floyd pinned Tokaku down on the sofa. Watching his twin brother on top of the girl, he felt a surge of anger but managed to control it. It was difficult for him to scold Tokaku for not reacting or pushing Floyd away, seeing her widen her blue rectangular eyes, expressing her confusion at the situation.

"I was upset with her, but I couldn't blame Tokaku entirely for the incident since she seemed unaware of what Floyd was doing," he thought, remembering how innocent she looked.

"She appeared so innocent when Floyd pinned her down. Even when I confronted her about it, she couldn't admit her lack of reaction, and I found myself feeling jealous. She can seem innocent despite her status as an assassin who has never taken a life. It's quite intriguing," he mused.

"As for me, it was the first time I felt jealous when my brother tried to claim something I wanted. I had never felt challenged by a relative before."

"Tokaku Azuma... Never before have I been interested in a girl. She is unique to me, unlike any of the other land women I have met."

"Though her appearance may be boyish to everyone, she doesn't behave like a boy. Her blue eyes and hair remind me of the sea glass I once gave her. She never smiles at everyone; instead, she looks at them with a cold expression that I find attractive. Her voice is monotonous, yet I am entranced by it."

As he was lost in his thoughts, his smartphone vibrated, snapping him out of his reverie. Seeing Tokaku's name on the screen, he quickly answered the call.

"Good evening, Tokaku," he greeted.

"Good evening, Jade," Tokaku replied.

"What made you call me at this hour?" Jade inquired.

"I wanted to confirm our meeting spot for tonight, so I decided to call you instead of waiting for a message. Can you send me a photo of the spot?" Tokaku asked.

"Luckily, I took a photo of the spot last night. I'll send it to you right away," Jade replied.

"Alright, see you tonight," Tokaku said before ending the call.

Jade looked at Tokaku's phone number on his screen, realizing she was eager for their meeting that evening and wondering what stories she would share about her days in Pomefiore.

Later that evening, Tokaku arrived at the location Jade had sent her. Walking through the woods behind the building after crossing the college street, she reached a lake shimmering in the moonlight. Before she could fully appreciate its beauty, she heard footsteps and turned to see Jade approaching.

"It's you, Jade," she greeted him.

"Good evening, Tokaku," Jade replied. "Do you like our meeting spot?"

"It doesn't matter if I like the place or not. What's important is that we get to talk," Tokaku replied flatly.

"You seem eager to have a conversation with me," Jade noted.

"I might miss talking with you. You're the only one in Octavinelle who I'm comfortable talking to," Tokaku revealed.

Feeling a surge of affection from his crush, Jade gestured for her to sit by the lake, and the two conversed about Tokaku's time in Pomefiore and her interactions with Vil and the others. They parted ways after exchanging goodbyes, having shared a meaningful conversation under the moonlight.