Day One at Pomefiore

From the previous chapter, Epel showed Tokaku around Pomefiore House, pointing out different areas. He mentioned the dining hall, lab, and lounge. The dorm was designed like a fairytale castle inspired by the Fairest Queen. This dorm is known for Potionology and curses. Epel shared his own experience of starting as a freshman here, which brought feelings of shame.

Tokaku shared her own dark humor about threatening the head mage during her orientation. They both laughed about it. As they walked, some Pomefiore students whispered about Tokaku, but she paid them no mind. Eventually, they reached the lounge, and Tokaku found the design dazzling. She inquired about the throne, which belonged to the house warden. Epel explained the tradition of passing the throne to a new warden each year.

Tokaku learned about the fourth-year internship students undergo and felt a twinge of sadness at the thought of Azul and the Leech brothers leaving. Epel's stomach growled, signaling dinner time. He mentioned the dorm's healthy diet but small portions. Tokaku offered to cook for him without the salads. He marveled at her height, and she revealed being one year older than most freshmen.

Tokaku explained her rapid growth from training at the assassin facility. Epel admired her coolness. The conversation paused as a bell rang, signaling an event at the dorm.

"Oh, that's the dinner time bell. It's the first reminder, so we need to be at the dining hall before the final ring, or else Vil will punish us," Epel said to the girl. The girl nodded.

They went to the dining hall where most of the Pomefiore students were already gathered. Seeing many people in the dining hall, Tokaku was stuck at the entry because she was phobic when strangers were too close to her. That's why she always had meal times with Azul and the Leech brothers.

Epel was going to step into the dining hall until he noticed his girl stunned like a statue at the entry. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked.

"One thing you should know about me is that I am phobic when there are too many strangers around me, getting too close," Tokaku said.

"You mean you don't like having dinner with strangers?" Epel guessed.

Tokaku nodded. "I can only have mealtimes with Azul and the Leech brothers when I am at the dorm and school with you and Jack."

"Do not worry about it. Vil has reserved you a seat to enjoy your meals," Epel convinced the girl and grabbed her hand. "Come, let me show you your seat!" He pulled the girl to the dining hall.

The girl followed him while he was pulling her hand across the dining hall. Meanwhile, the Pomefiore students who had settled on their chairs glanced at them and started gossiping like a bunch of Dutch with Satan's mouths. They were whispering, saying:

"Did you see that mad girl with Epel? They are as close as the best friends they are."

"I know. How can Epel be friends with a girl like her? She's a leftover, if I must say."

"She looks fine and natural, but she acts like an abandoned stray."

"Just like the moment she was sent here from her world."

Their gossip was overheard by Tokaku and Epel.

"Ignore them, Tokaku. You do not behave like an abandoned stray," Epel whispered.

"I know. That's why I am not listening to them," Tokaku whispered back.

Listening to her, Epel giggled. He pulled his girl to a royal table where Vil and Rook sat. The house warden and the vice house warden were waiting for Tokaku and Epel to appear.

"Look who has arrived here, it is Roi du Apple and Mer Blue Lady," Rook said.

"We were waiting for you two to come. If you had been late, I would punish you both for delaying our dorm meal time. As I have said consistently, one delayed meal could interrupt the body's digestion, and a gastric problem could possibly occur. You should be cautious about taking care of your health because that is where beauty lies, and beauty is what matters in Pomefiore in every aspect. Do you take notes?" Vil said, warning his freshman and the girl with a side stare.