The preface is a kind of apology for the book - George Eliot

I thought I knew pain before today.

Don't get me wrong, the concept of pain has evolved since seventeen. Now I am eighteen. Once it had been a laceration on the chin or a scrape on the knee. But I had never imagined pain to be nothing. The paradox is, that nothing is worse than feeling nothing. Feeling like there is no ground under your feet, not a staccato beat in your chest. No reasons left to breathe - or be alive for that matter.

I don't like this kind of pain. I don't want it. I do not welcome it as my roommate.

At only 18, this pain has knocked on my door 80 years too early. It is the kind of agony that should accompany death. But I was forced into it, forced to suffer. And while I want to blame him, I know I can not. Because it was them.

When they arrived, they killed more than 85% of the Earth's population. And when the bridges between logic and reason fell, so did our humanity. What once was, is no longer, and what is, will be forever. I refuse to call it 'our' forever. We are not one of them. We never will be. And those who idolise them, praise their mission, prophet their salvation, well, they talk a lot of crap.