Side Story - (4)

Emperor Zhou Keung, a wise and just ruler who had endured countless trials and tribulations before finding his own path to happiness. Finally, he had united his heart with the radiant Zhang Mirai, the enchanting princess of the neighboring Adarlan Kingdom, after weathering the storms that fate had hurled upon them.

Yet, as the years flowed like a river, carrying both joy and sorrow in its ceaseless current, a new chapter began to unravel. Zhou Keung's beloved sister, Zhou Fang, approached him with a plea that pierced his heart. She confessed her deep affection for Mr. Xiao Zhan, the trusted right-hand man of King Zhang Yong of Adarlan. Overwhelmed by love, Zhou Fang summoned the courage to propose to the king, who, recognizing the sincerity of her heart, sent Xiao Zhan to Wisteria without delay.

However, unbeknownst to Zhou Fang, Xiao Zhan had made a solemn vow to himself never to succumb to the princess's charms. Thus, during their eleven encounters, his gaze never lingered upon her, his attention steadfastly directed elsewhere. Zhou Fang's heart ached with longing, as the light of hope dwindled within her, clouded by Xiao Zhan's indifference. But fate, it seemed, had yet to unveil its intricate design.

One fateful day, as Zhou Fang and Xiao Zhan strolled along the serene palace gardens, tragedy befell them. The princess, lost in her thoughts and burdened by unrequited love, stumbled and plummeted into the icy depths of a tranquil pond. The news reached Emperor Zhou Keung with a tempestuous fury, and his heart, heavy with anger, cast judgment upon Xiao Zhan. The devoted retainer was swiftly thrown into the unforgiving embrace of the prison walls.

The emperor's wrath is unleashed when Princess Zhou Fang falls into the pond during her walk with Xiao Zhan. Blinded by fury, Emperor Zhou Keung imprisons Xiao Zhan, subjecting him to grueling physical tasks and depriving him of sustenance. This punishment is not only a reflection of the emperor's anger but also a manifestation of his deep love for his sister and his desire to protect her at all costs.

Time passed, and as the seasons waned, Zhou Fang's physical wounds healed, but the scars etched upon her soul remained raw and unyielding. Her demeanor, once vibrant and full of life, turned distant and devoid of emotion. Xiao Zhan, his spirit shackled by remorse and guilt, witnessed the transformation, and the realization of his loss seeped into the very marrow of his being. Love had awakened within him, but it was a love that bloomed too late.

Months danced like shadows upon the sundial, and the princess, though her health was restored, held tightly to the walls she had built around her heart. Silent and unyielding, she refused to acknowledge Xiao Zhan's desperate attempts to breach her solitude. Regret, heavy as iron, pressed upon Xiao Zhan's shoulders, burdening him with the knowledge of what could have been.

In a desperate bid to protect the fragile flame of her love, Zhou Fang resorted to a deception that would seal her tragic destiny. She revealed to Xiao Zhan a harrowing truth-a debilitating illness that gnawed at her very existence, threatening to consume her life. Fearing the pain of losing her, Zhou Fang sent Xiao Zhan away, shattered fragments of their love scattering to the winds.
Xiao Zhan, bearing the weight of his remorse, returned to Adarlan, the land that had birthed his love and destined it for sorrow. It was there, in the embrace of his homeland, that understanding dawned upon him. The princess had lied, sacrificing their love upon the altar of selfless devotion.

The realization tore through Xiao Zhan's soul, rending it asunder, and the bitter taste of regret pervaded his every thought.
Time rolled on, an unyielding tide, and several months later, news of Zhou Fang's newfound love reached Xiao Zhan's ears. The princess had discovered solace and genuine affection in the arms of the Minister's second son, a man who treasured her as the rarest of gems. Love, it seemed, had found its way to Zhou Fang's heart, leading her to a realm of contentment and joy that Xiao Zhan could never provide.