Old Books

While the king busied himself with the details of his pilgrimage, Mirai sat in her room, engrossed in the pages of a history book she had stumbled upon in the depths of the palace library. As the third daughter of King Zhang, she often sought solace in books, and history had always been her favorite subject. However, this particular book seemed different, emanating an air of mystery that piqued her curiosity.

The book told a tale from a time long before the foundation of the empire, a time when kingdoms rose and fell, and magic flowed freely through the land. It spoke of a hostage prince from a distant kingdom who was held captive in the foreboding Cold Palace. The prince had spent years within its icy walls, isolated from the world he once knew.

Upon reaching the age of twenty, an unexpected turn of events unfolded. The King, who held the prince captive, decided to wed him to his beloved daughter, hoping to secure a powerful alliance between their kingdoms. Little did they know, the prince harbored a sinister secret. He was not merely a prince but a demon in disguise.

The wedding was celebrated with great pomp and ceremony, but it quickly descended into tragedy. As the prince's new bride, blessed with the power of the goddess of light, stood before him, he revealed his true form. A creature of darkness, he unleashed his malevolent power upon his wife, snuffing out the radiant light that surrounded her.

In that instant, the prince transformed into the most formidable demon king the three realms had ever witnessed. With the strength he had gained from his wife's demise, he unleashed chaos upon the land, striking fear into the hearts of all who stood against him. He conquered kingdoms, toppled empires, and instilled despair throughout the realms.

Yet, amidst the darkness, the goddess of light could not remain idle. Breaking through her deep meditation, she descended from her celestial abode to confront the demon king. With her divine radiance and unwavering determination, she engaged him in a battle that shook the heavens and the earth.

For days and nights, the goddess and the demon clashed, their powers colliding in a cataclysmic struggle. But in the end, it was the goddess of light who emerged victorious, banishing the demon king to the depths of oblivion. As he faded into nothingness, she uttered a prophetic declaration - a girl of red hair would come in his next life to vanquish him once again.

Mirai's heart skipped a beat as she read those words. Glancing into the mirror, she saw her own reflection, adorned with a mane of fiery red hair. The book's tale had taken an unexpected turn, intertwining the ancient history of the demon king with her own existence.

Could it be mere coincidence, or was there something more to this story?

The young princess was both fascinated and apprehensive. The notion that she could be the one destined to confront the demon king in his rebirth both thrilled and terrified her. The weight of this prophecy bore down on her shoulders, and she wondered what path her life would take.

Was she fated to become a savior, wielding the power of the goddess of light against the darkness that threatened the realms? Or was this tale simply a cautionary reminder of the dangers that lie in misinterpreting the words of ancient texts?

As Mirai closed the book, a sense of determination filled her heart. She realized that information, even from ancient sources, could serve as a powerful tool, but misinterpreting its words could lead to dire consequences. She resolved to embark on a journey of self-discovery, seeking wisdom and guidance to decipher the true meaning behind the enigmatic prophecy.

Lost in contemplation, Mirai was startled by a faint rustling sound. She glanced around the room, but there was no one to be seen. Her eyes fell upon a small parchment that had materialized on the table before her. It was an anonymous letter, written in delicate penmanship, the author's identity concealed. With trembling hands, Mirai unrolled the parchment and began to read.

TO BE CONTINUED...