Chapter 16- Tsakarem

Nerika then goes back to the village where she is met by Aonung and Tsireya. "Come" they say leading Nerika to the tsahik's tent.

"Welcome Nerika, as you know us Metkayinan people get tattoos after achieving something great" Ronal says,"me and Tonowari have decided that it is time for your first tattoo"

Nerika was shocked to hear this, she saw other villagers having tattoos and Aonung having a little one on the back of his arm but now that she was getting one was unbelievable.

"When I say achieve something great, I mean like how you are to become tsahik, or becoming a warrior, getting a tsurak and of course taming a palulukan" Ronal says. "How badly do these tattoos hurt?" Nerika asks while tilting her head. "It's like giving birth" Tsireya says.

Nerika turns to her with widened eyes, "You'll be fine" Aonung shrugs before picking Nerika up and placing her on a mat where some village girls would give her the tattoo. "Hold her down" Ronal says before closing the curtain of the tent covering the entrance. Aonung and Tsireya then hold Nerika down by her arms and legs. "Begin" she commands as the village girls begin to give Nerika her first tattoo.

Nerika begins to scream in pain as the ink forms a permanent mark on her skin while the pen stabs her. "Aonung give her your hand" Tsireya says while holding Nerika down by her legs. "Why?" He asks. "She can squeeze it when in pain, it helps" Ronal says. "Oh eywa" Aonung says as he reluctantly gives Nerika his hand.

Nerika takes it gratefully as the women continue with her tattoo. She continues to scream in pain, "Ouch!" Aonung groans as his hand is being squeezed tightly by Nerika. "Sorry love, but if I have to go through this pain then so do you" Nerika says, "When will this tattoo end?!" she asks desperately. "And, done" the village girl says finishing with Nerika's tattoo.

"Oh thank eywa" Nerika says. "This is definitely worse than giving birth" Nerika says. "You'll see in the future just how bad shoving a baby out your vagina is" Ronal says.

Nerika's tattoo for riding a Palulukan and becoming a Tsamsiyu(warrior) ___

___

"It looks kinda cool" Nerika says looking at the tattoo on her shoulder. "Thanks for letting me hurt you" Nerika says to Aonung while sitting up. "Yeah you owe me" He says.

"Tomorrow you two must tame a tsurak" Ronal says. "We must?" Nerika asks. "Is it not too early" Aonung asks. "You're both 18 and are fierce warriors and already have your first tattoos so no it is not too early" Ronal says while opening the curtain as Tuk and Kiri run inside.

"Rika!" Tuk shouts hugging her sister. "Hey tuk" Nerika says back. "We heard your screams from outside, but it looks really cool" Kiri says. "I want one!" Tuk says. "Maybe in the future tuk but not now" Nerika says.

"Alright everybody out, Nerika and Tsireya stay but everybody else please make your way out of the tent" Ronal says.

Once everyone had left Ronal then came to sit down in front of Nerika and Tsireya, "Nerika you've finished with your tsakarem trainings early due to being a tsakarem in omaticaya so today I need you girls to do something for me please" Ronal says. The girls nods before looking back at Ronal. "I need you to have a swim with the little kids, get them in the water, help them with their breathing and just have fun with them" Ronal says.