Chapter 5- Payakan

----back at the village while Lo'ak is fighting for his life----

Nerika, Kiri and Tsireya were sitting at the ilu deck busy shining and dusting saddles when they see Aonung and his friends on their ilu giggling ridiculously.

"Where's Lo'ak?" Nerika asks as the boys stop giggling and turn to Nerika.

Aonung gets out of the water onto the deck and throws his ilu's saddle onto Nerika's lap. "Be a sweetheart and shine this for me, would you?" Aonung says with a smirk on his face as she glares back at him. He tries to walk away but Nerika quickly grabs him by the arm forcing him to face her.

"Let me ask this again, where is my brother?'' She asks with a frown on her face.

Before Aonung could say anything one of his friends spoke up, "We left him outside the reef, he's probably fighting for his life right now" the boy says snickering in between.

Nerika turns to Aonung who's facing the ground. He felt her eyes shooting daggers at him. She pulls Aonung roughly by the ear taking him to her father who was sitting with Tonowari, Ronal and Neytiri.

The adults eyes widen seeing Nerika's rage filled eyes as she reluctantly lets go of Aonung. "Tell them" she says in a deep voice as she lets out a growl at the back of her throat. Tonowari stands up looking down at his son, "Aonung, what is happening?" Aonung was too afraid to answer still looking down to the ground.

"Fine I'll tell them" Nerika scoffs. She looks up at Tonowari explaining to him how Aonung and his friends took Lo'ak outside the reef and abandoned him. Ronal hisses hearing this,"Aonung, is this true?!" She asks Aonung, who is still looking down with his ears dropped.

They send out a search party looking for Lo'ak.

~Meanwhile with Lo'ak~

Lo'ak could feel his life fading away as he continues to drift away in sea.

A little while later he opens his eyes to be laying on what seemed like a rock but as he looked around at his surroundings, he realizes that he is on the back of a tulkun! A whale-like creature that share a deep connection with reef people.

Lo'ak's POV

I wake up to see myself on the back of a Tulkun. Tsireya spoke often about them and how each and every Reef navi had some sort of brotherly or sisterly connection with them.

I jump into the water and land on its fin. "You saved my life" I say breathlessly. "Thank you" I say while signing it as well to make sure he or she understands me. It lets out a whistle like sound with a happy look in its eye that I of course don't understand but am willing to learn.

I look back at the creature whos eyes have landing on a mechanism that was stuck in its fin. "They hurt you didnt they?" I ask seeing the tulkun's eye going from happy to sad. I offer to pull it out and go underwater to remove the mechanism from he's fin.

Well Im guessing its a he

I come back on his fin as he pushes me underwater and offers to swim with me. I smile and agree.

We swim together for a few minutes as I notice his left fin had a stump. I sign him a sorry and we continue swimming.

It grew dark and I could hear skimwings in the distance. "Lo'ak!" I hear my dad shout out for me. "Go, I will see you again" I sign to the tulkun before he dives back into the water and swims away. I swim towards my dad and get on the back of one of the warrior's skimwings.

We arrive back at the village when my sister, Nerika, comes running to me and pulls me into a hug. I hug her back as I hear her mumble to herself, "Oh thank Eywa you're safe"