Face-Off

The old bike was not dependable, but Neera already knew that. It quit, puttering out quite a distance away from the address Koen had given Verena. All the better. More distance meant more safety.

Neera walked to the site, staying a distance away for a moment where she could see what she would be walking into. It was an open field, an old, abandoned park from decades past. Large pine trees surrounded the area, acting like a barrier to the field. To Neera, it felt like a gladiators arena. White Waters were suited up, lining the wooded circle as if waiting for entertainment.

Neera took a deep breath, and then she teleported directly into the middle. Heart racing, she glanced around. Koen stood a few paces in front of her, arms crossed. When she appeared, he stepped back, his eyebrows shooting up.

"Oh. Hmm. You couldn't do that before... Oh, well. It doesn't matter anyways."

He took a step forward. Neera glanced around and eyed him. He laughed loudly. A few White Waters laughed with him.

"Neera, Neera. My love. Don't worry; The White Waters have been instructed not to interfere. They won't, I can promise you that. You won't manage to kill me, but in some parallel universe that you do, they would only step in then."

Neera glared at him. "I will kill you. And I don't trust you. You could easily say that to catch me off guard."

Koen looked to the sky, as if praying for peace. But Neera knew he didn't pray, and she knew he despised peace. "My love, what do you want me to do? Vow it on my dead dog?"

Neera continued looking at him, expanding her energy slightly to scan the area behind her that she wasn't going to risk looking to. She couldn't use too much for fear that the little energy she just expended would be what saves her in the end.

"Vow it on our dead love instead," she answered.

Koen studied her for a moment, looking amused. "Wow. You really think I won't be fair. I haven't changed, you know. I was working to become a hero when you left me, when you destroyed my career. But I forgive you. This is only a friendly fight, and it isn't their business. It's between us. You lose, you come with me and your friend stays, as well. You win, you leave with your friend. Simple."

Koen took a knife from his sheath on his side. He placed it against his palm. "I vow, by my magic, my ability, my power, and, in turn, my life, that I shall keep my promise. I vow not to allow my villains to interfere with the battle until you have lost it."

He slit his palm, blood running out. Water pouring from the wound, as well, binding the blood with his power. A blood-magic vow. Neera was admittedly impressed.

Koen looked up, the wound closing as it should after a blood-magic vow. "Are you satisfied, my love?"

Neera gritted her teeth. "I am satisfied."

"Good. Let's begin."

Neera took a deep breath, trying to slow her still-racing heart. She rested her hands by her sides, facing her palms to the ground. Her energy hummed, the majority of it moving around her body to rest in her hands. She left the rest as a shield around her body. She knew she wouldn't be able to use it against the pure water, but if Koen pulled a stunt with a weapon, she'd be double-protected.

Koen studied her for a moment. Then he pooled water in his hands, letting it drift around him. Neera thought he looked stupid, but the gasps of the White Waters told her that they all thought differently. Neera rolled her eyes.

Koen shot the water into the sky. It fell down, but not in drops, thankfully. Koen's amazing idea failed as Neera shot away from the splash of water. A few drops fell on her ankles. She could feel the energy there dissipate.