Chapter 17: Using Connections

"I'm not a werewolf," he told Todd decisively. "I'm an alpha human."

"But how can you tell he's a wolf? How can you tell he's an alpha? I can't do that," P'Earth asked, throwing a quick glance over her shoulder.

Todd nodded, the single move communicating his 'what she said' vibe without words.

Arthit had a choice; he could reveal his connection to Kongpob and face the consequences, or he could reveal his new-found abilities but refuse to reveal where they came from. Both options would probably invite more questions. He wasn't prepared to answer any of them.

That left the worst option: lie.

It didn't even matter if it was a lie by omission or commission. Arthit would wilfully mislead his colleagues for no good reason. That was wrong, no matter what justification he could think of. Maybe it was an indication of how he really felt about Kongpob and everything he brought with him—that it was wrong to hide and wrong to blame it on things outside their control. Or maybe he was complicating matters when they were pretty simple.

He stalled.

It was late enough that there was no traffic. They got back to Ocean Electric before he could start digging his own grave. Before P'Earth or Todd could figure out that he didn't want to answer their questions. Excusing himself quickly, he headed straight to Khun Danai's office and updated him on what they had.

"It's good news. We have more than 50% of the order." He didn't sound particularly excited about that information, even though his words implied it. "Keep looking. Perhaps we can find someone who will help us fulfil the remaining 50%. It's a different request, isn't it?"

Arthit agreed. When they'd contacted the companies before, they'd needed the entire order. If they reduced it, they could probably find someone willing to help. He shared the information and everyone got back to work. That late, most of the calls went unanswered and the list of people they could call dwindled with each passing minute.

Arthit needed a break but he didn't think he could drop everything when their situation was so dire. He was contemplating his options for a snack when he felt rather than saw Kongpob walk into the room. He dropped off drinks for everyone, then lingered next to Arthit's desk.

How are you feeling?

Tired. Frustrated. I accidentally told P'Earth and Todd I could sense a werewolf and their rank.

How?

Piti Panich.

The alpha of the Panich Pack? How did you meet him?

He's our new supplier.

"Are you going to be okay?" Kongpob asked out loud and Arthit raised an eyebrow at him. His subtle nod in Todd's direction told him they were being observed. "What will you do if you can't get the remaining order?"

"We'll get it. I'm sure we will." Arthit said, determined to make it true no matter what it took.

"I can help," Kongpob offered. "Do you mind if I make a call?"

"We'll take any help we can get," P'Earth said beside him.

You know who I'm calling, right? Kongpob asked.

Arthit understood that he didn't want to step on his toes. I didn't want to presume.

You should presume more.

Kongpob left the room but Arthit heard him greet someone before he was out of earshot. He could have called Alpha Kerkkrai, the thought had crossed his mind, but he dared not assume that his connection with Kongpob gave him an advantage. Arthit had made sure to give Siam Polymer's number to P'Earth when they split the list of companies. She'd cancelled it as an option moments after making the call.