Chapter 41

Camila

I wanted to focus on the task Lauren had given me. I wanted to prove her right in trusting me to help with this process, but something about her had me paralysed today. Something about the way she commanded the venue had me weak, swooning and nervous

She smelt incredible, and I could have sworn that the scent of her perfume was lingering around my nose. I watched from the wing as she scribbled some notes onto a piece of paper, her eyelashes the only thing I could see of her eyes until Fallon began to whisper in her ear

I made sure to go over what she wanted me to do while watching her, admiring the way she moved knowing without hesitation how powerful she was. The girls across the stage now waiting in the opposite wing spoke behind hands I knew to be aimed at me, the so called 'fame' was hard to get used to, I only assumed people were talking about me negatively

"Number seven! Stage, now!" I heard the siren that went by Fallon call, alerting one of the girls into the centre of the stage. Lauren looked her up and down and immediately took notes, the appearance something I didn't know to be important "Camila!"

I slid from the wing of the stage with a blank expression and walked to meet the girl with an empty smile, staring back at Lauren who offered a charming wink "Just so everyone is aware, at this stage, you will be completing your solo routine with Camila" Lauren began, her silky voice causing all behind us to gasp "Forget the steps you have been given, this is your chance to show me some pair improv, open your minds and use her to your advantage! This is a rare opportunity!"

Lauren had told me backstage in her exact words to be a 'Fucking nightmare' to dance with. She wanted to see who could pull out the lead role and dominate the space without being carried by a bigger force. It was a challenge I was willing to accept, providing I didn't gain a bad rep for being lazy.

The music began and I found myself standing a foot or so in front of the girl behind. She was confused evidently, and with a small grumble, her feet began to move just as mine did.

I moved around the stage with a solo mindset. Lauren wanted me to make it hard for the dancers to pair with me, and so, I made sure to make it all about me. The girl sashayed towards me and mimicked my movements. Her hands slide down her torso and her eyes fixed to follow me further.

I glance at Lauren between beats and chuckle when she shoves her sheet of paper into the middle of the desk. This girl has failed, and a few seconds later, the music stops.

"Thank you," she offered a smile, but the girl knew it meant nothing. "Next."

The next girl wondered onto the stage with a gulp. She stood beside me this time, and I refused to make eye contact until the music began for a second time. This song was different, and I could tell Lauren's plan was to stop any of the girls rehearsing the current song while watching.

It felt magnificent to be the bringer of bad news. The last time I auditioned for Lauren, I was shunned and eye rolled all the way to the parking lot. This felt great, like revenge.

The girl didn't know what to do at all. Her hands flailed and her nervous face caught up with her inability to improvise. Lauren chuckled and itched her brow, looking across to Fallon tightening her lips.

"Thank you," Lauren holds her hand up to pause the music. "Just to be clear guys. You need to be dancing as a duo. Camila is here to throw you off. Use your brains."

I smirked down at her, and she issued a telling wink back. "Evil."

"Good job, baby."

Around twenty or so girls tried their best to keep up with me. None of them succeeded bar a cute brunette who clearly studied ballroom. I felt powerful and confident, as if Lauren had given me a crown to wear that those around me were forced to look at.

It wasn't until a short guy approached with a smile that Lauren was forced to sit back in her seat. The music began in a somewhat sensual fashion, and within seconds, the guy had my hand wrapped around his lower back.

Lauren folded her arms and cocked her head. She was concentrating. The guy swung me around and forced eye contact that made us look practiced. I kept up, and although nervous to be so out of control, it felt exhilarating to finally have someone take the lead.

He lifted me by my hips and bought me right back to his chest. Each and every step was filled with purpose, and for a moment, I'd forgotten where I was.

The music stopped after a good few minutes. I look down at Lauren, and she took a breath before opening her mouth.

"Brilliant," she said. "Finally, someone who gets it."

"Thank you ma'am." The guy nodded, side eyeing me with a cute smile.

Lauren twisted her pen around her fingers. "I think we will have you sat down here." I offer a mini clap as the guy walked down toward the front of the stage. "I expect to see more of this as we go on. I'm being extra picky today."