I stood outside his door and despite myself; I entered the room without knocking. I almost shifted upon sight of the events taking place in the room. I saw my mate, bruised and afraid, and the so-called "commander" trying to force himself on her.

"Calm down, "I told myself. I would not risk this entire operation because I could not reign in my wolf. If I attacked him now, we'd never make it past the door before other rogues would come to his aide. I promised myself I'd take care of him in due time. Immediately, I felt my eyes revert to their original color.

"Hello, boss," I said, seeping in as much venom as I could muster into those two words. "It's nice to see how well you treat the captives."

Steven jumped up, but noticing who he was speaking to, a look of annoyance replaced his frightened expression. "Tell me you have a good reason for interrupting something so important." His gaze rested on my mate. I seethed from the lustful look he held in his eyes for her.

He was lucky I did not kill him now. He should be thankful. Though he was older, I could easily take him out. I had Alpha blood in me.

I tossed the folded up note to him, and he caught it quickly. He read it carefully, his expression unaffected. He went to his drawer in search of something, my badge most likely.

I took a good long look at my mate, trying to savor every last memory of her. But the longer my gaze lingered on her, the angrier I got. She did not deserve to be treated like this. She was shaking so badly; it took every ounce of control not to wrap my arms around her.

I took an involuntary step towards her. Then two more, then another two more until I was right next to her. I touched the bruise on her temple and felt my temper flare. He did this to her.

She looked up into my eyes and gasped. "W-w-what are you doing?" She stuttered. Her eyes were wide, and she pushed my hand away.

I saw her trying to figure things out in her head. I smiled despite myself. She was wondering why my touch left a surge of electricity running through her. By the looks of it, she probably didn't know the term "mates" yet.

Fear once again replaced her confused expression, and she stared back down into the sheets. Was she afraid of me? What was she thinking? All those questions had to go unanswered for now because Steven found the badge and was approaching me.

He found me staring at her. "She's gorgeous, isn't she? "He kissed her forehead and she winced.

I fought to urge to grimace. "Yeah, not bad to look at, but I've seen better." I tried to sound disinterested.

Steven looked at me like I was crazy. His eyebrows drew together. "Not in this place for sure, but to each its own, I guess." He shrugged, placing the badge on my uniform. "Just remember, hands off this one, she's mine. Off-limits, compris?"

Not anymore.

I forced out a sarcastic chuckle. "Of course."

I caught her staring at me a few times. When I looked back, she turned red and stared back down into the sheets.

Steven's voice brought me back into focus. "Keep up the outstanding work. Hardly anyone gets promoted." He slapped me on the back lightly.

He turned towards Cara. "Oh, and can you take her to the basement? I'm done with her." She looked up now, terror in her eyes. Cara cried and beg for him to reconsider. She would rather stay here and deal with Steven's abusiveness than go back down to the basement.

Her cries grew louder, and Steven looked like he was preparing to hit her at any moment.

If he touched her, I would kill him now. Screw my father and his wishes. Fortunately for both of us, he didn't.

"I'll do it, sir." I barely made out. It hurt me to hear my mate crying.

She slowly got out of the bed, and I grabbed her wrists, leading her out the room into the hall. As soon as I touched her, her cries stopped. She looked down curiously at my fingers around her wrists. The door slammed on our faces, and I let out a sigh of relief.

The tingles I felt from touching her intensified, and she yanked away from her hand from my hold, gazing at it. I grabbed her again as we walked down the corridor. I was contemplating what I would say to her. It was too early to give her any form of reassurance. We were strangers at this point and she may relay the things I tell her to Steven.

My attention refocused on her when I heard her soft whisper. "Don't hurt me. Please." She covered her face from me. I took her hands away from her face.

"I could never hurt you. I swear." I whispered, leading her to the basement.

"B-but you are a guard. You guys are all the same. You only want one thing. And if you can't get it, you will try to beat -." She winced as if she expected me to strike her at any moment for speaking out against the injustices of this place.

"I am not like that Cara."

"How do you know my name?" She stopped walking. Cara was literally trembling in fear.

"I know a lot about you," I answered, not meeting her eyes.

"But why?"

"Because I do." I pulled her along, refusing to give her the real reason yet. Most likely, she didn't shift yet and wasn't aware that she was a werewolf. So if I tried to tell her anything, including that we were mates, she wouldn't understand. Even worse, it might freak her out . I would have to ease her into it eventually.

I dropped her off in room 3b. It was a small room that she shared with at least 10 other girls. How could they force them all in such tight spaces? Inside, the girls yelled insults at her. Beside me, Cara cringed slightly. I wished I could take her back to my room so she could have a comfortable bed to lie on. I sighed in defeat; it was too risky.

"It'll be okay. You won't be here for long." I said, hoping she'd understand what I meant. She just stared at me with confused eyes, entirely drained of hope.

"What do you want from me? Why are you acting so nice? " Her head tilted to the side as she tried to figure me out. I wished I could respond to her, but not with the other girls listening. Who knows what they might tell Steven or any other guard.

"Because one day I'll save you from this place, and you'll never have to expect a price for kindness." I thought to myself as I locked her in the room.