Eira sat up slowly, feeling the weight of her exhaustion. She rubbed her temples with her fingertips, trying to remember what had happened. She felt a dull pain behind her eyes, as if she had been hit with a hammer. The memory of the pegasus felt so real, but the innkeeper's words made her doubt her own mind.

"Thank you," Eira said to the woman, her voice hoarse. "I appreciate your kindness."

The innkeeper nodded, looking at Eira with a mixture of sympathy and curiosity. "Do you mind if I ask where you're headed, dear? I don't often see travelers like you in these parts."

Eira sighed, feeling a wave of exhaustion wash over her. She was tired of keeping her secrets and pretending everything was fine. But she knew she couldn't risk revealing her true purpose.

"I'm just passing through," she said, keeping her tone neutral. "I have some business in the capital."

The innkeeper seemed dissatisfied. "The capital? Are you attending court there? Not many have the coin for one night here, much less two gold coins to spare."

Eira wiped her tears away, then answered, "I am on a journey to the capital of Aerindir to compete in the music competition."

The innkeeper's eyes widened in surprise. "The King's competition?"

"Yes," Eira nodded. "I'm a bard, and I play the violin. It's a prestigious competition, and I cannot afford to miss it. I must leave as soon as possible."

The innkeeper smiled. "Well, we can't have you missing out on your dreams, can we? I'll make sure you have a good meal tonight and get some rest. And in the morning, I'll have my son take you to the nearest stable so you can find a horse to ride to the capital."

Eira's heart lifted with gratitude. "Thank you so much, I really appreciate it."

The innkeeper waved her hand dismissively. "It's the least I can do after finding you half-dead on my doorstep. Now, let's get you some food, and you can tell me more about this competition."

Eira spent the rest of the day practicing her violin, playing every tune she knew and trying out new melodies that she had been working on during her journey. As she played, she couldn't help but feel uneasy about being in Aerindir territory. She had heard stories of the kingdom's harsh laws and strict customs, and the thought of being in the heart of it all made her nervous.

But as she made her way down to the tavern that evening to play for the locals, she was surprised to find that the people were much kinder than she had anticipated. They welcomed her with open arms, marveling at her music and buying her drinks and food as they heard word of her abilities as a musician. At first, she had refused the first pint of ale that had been offered to her, but then she considered everything she had been through.

Damn it to hell, she thought, I deserve this after the ordeal I went through, and she gulped it down after a moment's consideration.

Eira let her own persona fade away and donned the personality of Lydia Lirian. She felt a sense of freedom in being able to invent a new identity for herself, one that didn't carry the weight of her past. As she played her violin for the townspeople, she felt herself slipping further into the character of Lydia, a confident and skilled musician who was destined for greatness.

One of the locals, a jovial man with a thick beard and a friendly grin, approached her and struck up a conversation. His Aerindirean accent was thick. "You play the violin, eh? I've never heard anything like it before. How did you get so good?"

Eira felt the alcohol coursing through her veins. "Practice, practice, and more practice. I've been playing since I was a child. And I've had a lot of time to hone my skills on my journey here. But you better believe I'm the greatest violinist that will ever pass through these lands!"

The man raised his tankard in a toast. "Well, here's to Lydia Lirian, the greatest violinist in all the land!"

The others in the tavern joined in, laughing and cheering as they drank to her success.

As the night wore on, Eira found herself becoming more and more confident, buoyed by the attention and adoration of the townspeople. She played her violin for hours, the sweet strains of music filling the air and drawing in a larger and larger crowd.

The night grew late and the drinks kept flowing, Eira's confidence grew, and she began to feel invincible. How many drinks had she had? She had lost count after 7. Maybe 10. She had never been the greatest at mathematics.

"I'm going to win that competition," she slurred, "and when I do, I'll be the talk of the whole kingdom! The gods damned King will beg on his knees for me to play him a sonata when I'm done!"

The crowd laughed and cheered, raising their glasses.

"Lydia Lirian," someone called out, "you're a force to be reckoned with!"

Eira jeered and raised her glass. "You're gods damned right! No one can beat me on the violin!"

She grinned wickedly as she thought of an idea. She slammed down her glass and stumbled over to one of the empty tables and climbed up on it, violin in hand. The crowd grew quiet as she prepared to play.

"I'm going to play you all a song," she said, her voice slurring slightly, and waved her bow through the air dramatically as she talked. "A song that will make you feel the way I do right now--unstoppable!"

She began to play, the notes ringing out clear and true despite her drunken state. The tavern erupted in cheers and applause, and Eira felt a rush of adrenaline. She played louder and faster, the music flowing through her as if she were in a trance.

When she finished, the crowd went wild. Eira made a show of sketching bow after bow, and then she climbed down from the table to join in the celebration. She felt a camaraderie with these people she had only just met, and for the first time since leaving her home, she felt like she belonged somewhere. She liked being Lydia Lirian.

Eventually, the night drew to a close and the tavern began to empty out. Eira's euphoria began to fade as she stumbled back to her room, her head spinning with the alcohol and the excitement of the night. She still was feeling stiff and sore from her journey through the Glacial Peak. She stretched her aching muscles and rubbed her sore feet, grateful for the warmth of the inn.

She looked out her window and saw the stars twinkling in the night sky. It was a clear night, and the moon cast a soft, silver light over the snow-covered landscape. Eira breathed in deeply, taking in the crisp, cold air.

As if the chill in the air stirred her memories, she felt her heart warm with the thought of the pegasus she had seen in the Glacial Peak. Hallucination or no, if that pegasus hadn't come along, she would have let herself perish on the mountain. Maybe her mind had known something extraordinary would have been needed to continue her journey.

As she climbed into bed, Eira picked up her violin and played a soft melody, allowing the music to soothe her anxious thoughts. The sound of the strings echoed softly in the room, and Eira lost herself in the music, playing well into the night.

Eira awoke the next morning to her head pounding yet again, but this time she suspected that the cause was her merriment from the previous night.

As Eira made her way down to the common room, she was greeted by the innkeeper. "Good morning, Lydia," she said with a smile. "I hope you slept well."

Eira smiled back, grateful for the warmth of the innkeeper's welcome. "Yes, thank you," she replied.

"I must say, your performance last night was quite impressive," the innkeeper continued. "The whole town is talking about the Tabletop Fiddler. That's what they're calling you now, you know."

Eira would have been embarrassed by the attention, but Lydia reveled in it. "Well, I'm glad they enjoyed it. I hope it brings more people to the tavern."

The innkeeper nodded. "I'm sure it will. And if you ever pass through Dur Faerdor again, you'll have to give us another show."

Eira promised that she would, and the innkeeper wished her good luck on her journey. 

***

**Vote, comment, and follow me!**

I really love writing about Eira and her violin, especially when she's allowing herself to step into the persona of Lydia. I hope you guys enjoy this update! All art from hereon out (unless specified) is made with Midjourney and Photoshop.