Chapter 4.5

Eira raised an eyebrow, amused by his response, though she knew there was a kernel of truth to it. "Ah, I see. So, it's not the endless balls and banquets, or the countless hours of diplomacy that keeps you going. It's the thrill of the game, the cunning of the players, and the satisfaction of coming out on top. Well, I can't say I blame you. After all, who wouldn't want to be the master of the game?"

Lynden leaned forward, a small smile on his lips. "It seems like you have quite the rapport already," he observed, a devilish twinkle in his eye.

Eira raised an eyebrow, amused. "I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm not cut out for court life," she said with a smirk.

The elf chuckled. "Oh, I wouldn't be so sure of that. Lady Eira, don't sell yourself short. You may surprise yourself with how well you do in court. You may even find yourself enjoying the intrigue and gamesmanship. You have a sharp wit and a quick tongue. Those are invaluable assets in any court."

Eira grinned, enjoying the conversation. "Well, I'll take that as a compliment. I suppose I'll have to keep my wits about me then, especially if I'm going to charm the entire Aerindirian court."

Lynden's sharp eyes flickered with agreement. "Indeed. The court can be a dangerous place, full of political games and hidden agendas. You'll need to stay sharp and keep your ears open if you want to succeed."

Eira leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms. "Well, lucky for me, I've always been good at playing games. And I never lose."

The elf's smile widened. "Is that so? We'll see about that, Lady Eira. We'll see. Once you leave Caladrielle, everything will be in your own hands."

Eira felt a sense of urgency at his words. "Alright. When do I leave?"

Lynden checked his pocket watch. "We should start preparing now. You need to move quickly. The orchestra has a performance next week, and you'll need to be ready by then. I can arrange for a carriage to take you to the border of Caladrielle. From there, you will have to make your way to Aerindir on foot."

Eira's heart raced as she realized the gravity of the situation. She stood up, her mind already racing with preparations. "I'll start packing my things. What should I bring?"

"Only what's necessary. You'll be traveling light and fast," Lynden replied. "Bring your violin, some clothes, and any essentials you'll need. You can buy anything else that you need on the road. I'll have enough money for the trip ahead in the carriage for you."

Lynden walked back over to his desk, and then came back over and handed her a small, intricately crafted box. "Here. I want you to have this."

Eira opened the box and gasped. Inside was a beautiful pendant made of gleaming silver and a shining sapphire stone in the center.

"Lynden, it's beautiful," she said, holding the pendant up to the light.

"It's more than just a pretty trinket," Lynden said, his eyes serious once more. "That is Tinwëgil. It's enchanted with a protection spell. It belonged to the Queen and was given to me for safekeeping after her death. You need it far more than I do. It will keep you safe."

Eira's throat nearly closed with the emotion that rose within her. The necklace was Star Shield, said to have been woven from the cosmos itself for the Queens of Caladrielle to wear. She swallowed once and fastened the pendant around her neck, feeling the weight of it settle against her chest.

She let the raw emotions show in her eyes as she smiled at Lynden. "I will wear it always."

Lynden walked back over to his desk and began pulling out pieces of paper and writing on them, seemingly preparing to begin with the proper arrangements they had discussed. "Once you leave Caladrielle, everything will be in your own hands, Lady Eira."

Eira nodded, feeling a sense of urgency. "Alright. When do I leave?"

Lynden checked his pocket watch. "You should start preparing now. You'll need to leave tonight. I can arrange for a carriage to take you to the border of Caladrielle. From there, you'll have to make your way to Aerindir on foot."

Eira's heart raced as she realized the gravity of the situation. She stood up, her mind already racing with preparations. "I'll start packing my things. What should I bring?"

"Only what's necessary. You'll be traveling light and fast," Lynden replied. "Bring your violin, some clothes, and any essentials you'll need. You can buy anything else that you need on the road. We'll rendezvous at the stables at 9 o'clock."

As Eira gathered her belongings and prepared to leave, Lynden called her over to his desk.

"Eira, I want you to be careful," he said, his voice heavy with concern. "Aerindir is a dangerous place, especially for outsiders. You not only risk yourself, but also the King, and all of Caladrielle if you are caught. If you run into any trouble, don't hesitate to reach out to me. I'll do everything in my power to help you."

Eira nodded and headed for the door, her mind racing with anticipation. She couldn't believe she was actually going to attempt this. The Loréil Tome was the most powerful artifact in the world, and it held knowledge that could corrupt even the purest of hearts. And more than that, she was going to infiltrate the court of her country's most ardent enemy.

The two countries hadn't known peace for decades, perhaps even centuries. Aerindir's lineage was of the Dark Kings, who reveled in death, tyranny, and power.

Gods, maybe she was in over her head. No. She shook her head, clearing her mind of the thoughts that threatened to overwhelm her. Sif had chosen her for this. She could not fail.

As she reached for the door handle, Lynden's voice stopped her.

"Eira," he said, his tone grave. "I must warn you. The Loréil Tome is not to be taken lightly. It contains knowledge that can corrupt the mind and twist the soul. I fear that if you're not careful, it may consume you."

*** 

** Vote, Comment, and Follow!! **

I'm super excited for the upcoming parts of this story, both the parts I have already written and the parts I have yet to get to. Let me know what you think of this chapter!