Arthur paused, squeezing Francis' hands. Arthur tried to keep a straight, calm face as he looked at Francis, close to hurting into tears.

"Arthur, this is a good day, is it not? A perfect day, but there will be better days ahead. We've been blessed and cursed, as you'd put it. However, I don't see it all that bad. I was able to grow beside you, absolutely despise you...hell, I got a few stabs in too!"

The priest tilted his head, confused at the stabbing remark. However, Arthur looked touched.

"I love fighting with you and making your life a living hell! Be prepared to want to kill yourself!" Francis laughed, making Arthur chuckle.

The priest did not.

"Anyway! My point is...marriage is a sacred thing. They say that a marriage unity is shared between a man, woman, and god...well, screw god! We are already going to hell for loving each other, so I will continue to damn myself!"

At this point, the priest thought all this was a weird joke, but they gave him twenty dollars to do it, so how could he refuse?

"Francis...."

"Yes, I know! I am ranting! But I feel that way. Arthur, I love you! No amount of words will be able to describe it. Either I have run out of words from the ones I have spoken, or the English language is not very fluent in words, hehehe. I am making jokes because, frankly...I can't live without you. I refuse to live without you. I no longer need to wish you to be well or to admit that I have affection for you. All of it is plain to see that you have me wrapped around your finger...and I don't want to escape. So... Arthur...please take me as I am, and I will take you as you are—a kind-hearted, maniacal schemer who has managed to wedge his way into my heart."

"Perfect..Do you, Arthur, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to live together in matrimony, to love him, comfort him, honour and keep him, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, to have and to hold, from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"...Do you, Francis, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to live together in matrimony, to love him, comfort him, honour and keep him, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, to have and to hold, from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?"

"Oui! Absolutely!"

"I was made aware that you didn't bring rings. Worry not, this happens so often that we keep regular ones on hand...but please...get each other actual rings," the Priest lectured. It caused the two of them to turn red. They weren't prepared for any of this.

"A ring is an unbroken circle, with ends that have been joined together, representing your union. It is a symbol of infinity and of your infinite love. When you look at these rings on your hands, be reminded of this moment, your commitment, and the love you now feel for each other. Arthur, place the ring on Francis's finger and repeat after me..." The priest handed them the toy-like rings, but they didn't care. In fact, both of them planned to keep these rings till they had worn out into dust.

"Francis, I give you this ring to symbolise my love with the pledge: to love you today, tomorrow, always, and forever."

"Francis, I give you this ring to symbolise my love with the pledge: to love you today, tomorrow, always, and forever," Arthur repeated.

"And now...Francis, place the ring on Arthur's finger and repeat after me: Arthur, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love with the pledge: to love you today, tomorrow, always, and forever."

"Arthur, I give you this ring as a symbol of my love with the pledge: to love you today, tomorrow, always, and forever," Francis repeated.

The two continued to hold each other's hands, staring at each other with deep adoration. Nothing could break this moment they will remember for the rest of their lives. "You have pledged to be joined in marriage. You have now sealed this pledge with your wedding rings. By the authority vested in me by the great State of Nevada, I now pronounce you married! YOU MAY KISS!"

And so they did.

And as if the heavens congratulated them, the fireworks went off as they shared their first kiss and joined into the new year. They held each other close as if scared they would be ripped apart. However, this time that wouldn't happen.

The fireworks that popped were a reminder that even on dark days, there will always be light that will guide you to where you were meant to be. Even if it remains secret now, one day, they will have the courage to scream it to the rooftops for everyone to hear.

Although their boys are a few locks down, enjoying the new year with close friends, wondering where their father figures have run off to, they knew it was something good. Matthew and Alfred could only hold each other, believing it was the case.

Their long, endless life had been absolutely cruel to them but somehow kind. They will never know how to really unpack this aspect now, but maybe in another hundred years. For now, they were finally happy in the world that created them.