L'amour que je n'ai jamais donné

One hundred years since Arthur stormed into my home, demanding I explain what my problem was. One hundred years since the best night of my life that could have continued if we would stop being stubborn. The Entente Cordiale will forever be the best proposal I helped create. Despite my feelings of excitement, I knew it seemed to be odd.

For the past few years, Arthur had been a bit distant. I wasn't sure why, but I respected it. Although seeing him made my heart race uncontrollably, I would respect it if he finally decided to put that wall between us. To stop wondering what our feelings were toward one another. There was no doubt I wouldn't love him till the end of time, but if he genuinely wanted things to be this way, I'd finally accept it.

I sat in my assigned seat for the meeting. This year, I was placed in the front row beside China and Greece. Arthur usually threw our names into a bowl and decided the arrangement. How creative.

Many of us were already here, only waiting for the show's star.

His brothers were already here, but I tried not to say much to them, especially Mr Scotland.

It was because...

Something happened...

A few years ago...

That I'd rather forget about it.

This was around that time when I told him I was in love with Arthur and wanted to see where it could go. I asked for 'advice', but instead, he kissed me. I was upset because I didn't think it was the right time for him to do that. It was a whole situation that I tried to forget, but strangely, it was around that time that I noticed a change in Arthur's attitude. He didn't act angry toward me or anyone, but he just changed. I couldn't put my finger on it.

Sitting between China and Greece meant I would shut up for the rest of the meeting. And although many of the people I preferred to talk to were scattered across the room, being front row helped me get a good view of the main attraction.

"Good Evening, everyone! I apologize for being late, but I had a few things to take care of!" Arthur spoke. As soon as he hurried through the doors, I immediately kept my eyes on him. Staring with so much interest. He looked tired, nothing new. He wore brown trousers, a white button-up with a sweater vest over. This was his most recent modern look, and it was simple.

He walked to the front of the stage, and everyone immediately began to quiet down. I had placed my chin against the palm of my hands, staring. He was so perfect.

"So, as you all know, tonight there will be an event commemorating the one-hundredth anniversary of the Entente Cordiale, held by Mr France and I..." he paused, looking at me, and all I could do was smile. It was a slight smile but enough to get his attention for a few more seconds. "Ah....we..." he started. He looked at me keenly, then turned away quickly.

"Everyone is welcome to attend! It will start tonight at twenty hundred. It will be nice to see everyone attend, so don't be afraid! Now... I am also pleased to announce the acceptance of new nations to the EU! It's been our largest expansion yet, and they all have been waiting anxiously. Give a hand to Poland, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Malta, and Cyprus."

Everyone began to cheer hearing the new additions, and I could only smile at how it made everyone feel. This was a good thing; it would strengthen our economy and alliance.

He looked a bit sad as he looked at the list of announcements. However, it was expected. There were a few tragedies lately that I knew needed to be addressed. "I know much is happening with the Iraq war, and with much fighting happening, it is important to stay positive as much as possible. This year, the people of Spain were attacked, killing one hundred and ninety people. Spain has announced his withdrawal from the war."

My eyes widened hearing the news, and people began to talk. Alfred had come to him for help, and now things weren't looking good for him. I'm sure Alfred already knew, so what he would do was a wonder. This war started after an attack on one of his largest cities. On September 11, 2001, the World Trade Center was attacked, and two years later, his people decided to strike back. The United Kingdom was somewhat involved, but mostly aid. I was trying to stay out of it this time.

"Alright, settle down! We have to keep going! This summer is the Olympics! It's being held in Greece! So make sure you pay your dues to help pay for the event! It's a global effort, after all!" Arthur continued. I looked over to Greece, who was sleeping, not seeming stressed about the event. It was a stressful event to plan, so I suppose it was good for him to get those naps in.

Arthur began talking again, and naturally, I dazed off as I stared at him. No matter how much I stare at him or how many times I've seen him, I will never tire of looking at him.

As I stared at him, I could see the previous versions. Him in the sixties, during World War II, during his Victorian era, his Edwardian, Napoleonic, Colonialism, and his Medieval period. All filled with tragedy and hopelessness. I wish I could understand what he was thinking; that way, I could give him what he truly wanted.

"Hmmmm", I breathed out softly.

I wish I knew what set him off suddenly. Why he suddenly distanced himself from me emotionally? I wondered if it was something I had done. He wasn't angry with me, so it couldn't have been that I had done something wrong. I wondered if I gave him the feeling that I didn't care for him that way anymore, which would be untrue. Frankly, I was working up the courage to tell him how I felt. Well, I had gotten close, but he never let me continue what I was trying to say.

It's been a few years since I stopped trying to pursue him, but I yearn for that emotional connection we had. I wanted to touch his hand like I used to and feel how sweaty his hands got from nervousness. Now, I felt awkward trying to speak to him; I was always at a loss for words.