La vérité

Sometime in the 1990s

I watched Arthur suddenly rush away from Mr Prussia after their small conversation. It worries me a bit about what they could have been discussing, but I'm sure it wasn't too crazy. "Are you okay?" Japan asked. I slowly turned my head toward him, keeping my eyes on Arthur.

"Hmm? Oh, yes! I think maybe I need a smoke."

"Ah, you Europeans sure do love smoking!"

"Hahah, what can I say? Habits!"

He smiled, shaking his head at me, and I shuffled through my pockets for a cigarette. After talking to Prussia, Arthur seemed to be in a good mood; it bothered me a bit. I wouldn't say I was a crazy jealous person, but...

Memories of how I once acted flooded my mind...

Okay, maybe I was a bit jealous. However, this was Prussia! He and I are good friends; I trust him. Besides, I can't be jealous of anyone Arthur talks to. That would be insane.

"I'll be back," I spoke. I stood up quickly, not giving him a chance to say anything. I think instead of being jealous all the time, maybe I need to do the obvious thing. Confront the situation and tell him how I feel.

Thinking about it made me nervous. It was the hardest thing I could do. Of course, I could show someone grand gestures. I liked to believe that I was good at that stuff. However, this is Arthur. He is different, and I can't do just anything for him. That's why it's so hard! How am I supposed to confess to someone who is, not only against anything I'll say, despite feeling the same way, but also not open about how he feels?

Walking outside, I sat on a bench, still looking for my cigarettes. I had my lighter but no cigarette. I think I was turning into Arthur and forgetting one all the time.

"Do you need a fag?"

I paused, shuffling, hearing his voice. I turned to my right, seeing Mr Scotland looking at me. "Ah, it would be nice," I spoke. He laughed at my expression and began shuffling through his pockets. Scotland and I haven't talked much, but I still felt this tension whenever I looked at him. However, I've made up my mind! I want Arthur! And if I have to clarify it, I will!

"Here, do you mind if I join you?" He asked. I grabbed the cigarette from him, shaking my head. This was my way of answering him, allowing him to sit beside me.

I lit my cigarette, looking up at the sky. My heart aches for Arthur; he was all I could think about. The Cold War was over, and I wanted to tell him before I was dragged into something again. I wanted to feel what humans feel when telling the one they love how much they mean to them.

"France, I've been wanting to talk to you about something," he started. I looked at him worriedly and began to put my cigarette out against the bench. "Scotland, I have a feeling I know what you want to say, but I won't accept them," I spoke. He looked at me, shocked, and I turned away.

"What? How could you know?—"

"The look you give me screams it. Listen...This might be hard to hear, but it's the truth. The truth is, I did have some affection toward you at one point, but I've always had...and always will love England..." I confessed. I looked at him seriously and turned away again so I wouldn't have to look at his heart breaking.

"What?....seriously?"

"Yes! I'm very serious...so serious that I plan to tell him. Maybe even tonight. So...I can't accept how you feel, because...I don't feel the same way," I spoke. This was the only other time I verbally told someone this, and it felt relieving.

"My brother doesn't deserve you! He treats you terribly all the time and can't make up his damn mind! I don't care what anyone thinks! I want to be with you!" He spoke. Listening to what he told me was hard while trying to stay focused. It made me feel terrible about the entire situation.

Scotland began to face his body toward me, but I kept my head straight.

"You know that's not right to say. I'm telling you I am in love with him, so that needs to be the end of it! I've been in love with him for a long time, and I'm tired of hiding it. So, please don't take it out on him, and don't take it out on me. I want to tell you seriously before you get the wrong idea," I explained.

I could sense him looking at me for some time, then straying off to look elsewhere. "Well, can't I ask for a parting gift?" He asked. I lifted an eyebrow at what he said, turning to face him. However, as I did, he took the opportunity to kiss me. He placed a hand on my nape, holding me still.

It made me feel so upset that I managed to pull away from him within seconds. "What are you doing? I just told you I was in love with England!" I snapped. I looked at him in disbelief, but his face was only still.

"So you are serious? For my brother? England? The one you always fought with?"

"You don't understand!"

"Yeah, I don't, and I don't think I want to understand. I can see where this is going and don't want to be a part of it. It will end badly for the two of you, and I'm sure it will lead to heartbreak! Mostly toward you. England isn't loving, and it's terrible that you haven't realized that yet. If you confess to him, he will probably laugh in your face...I guarantee it!"

I looked at him, distraught. He was serious! He truly believed that of his own brother. It was terrible, but I could somehow see where he was coming from. "Well, that's for me to deal with and none of your concern!" I added. I stood quickly and looked down at him from where he sat.

"So be it..."