Oui...I do...

Thirty minutes till midnight, which would send everyone in the time zone into the new year. Although Francis and Arthur's respective countries are celebrating already, they are in preparation for their new year.

After much begging for the nearby church, the priest gave in on one condition. That was that they did what anybody did on their wedding day. They don't see each other for a bit. The priest thought they were drunken fools from the smell emanating from Francis. The priest, who had been used to moments like this, did not bat an eye when what seemed like a normal, excited gay couple came in, asking for help.

Arthur was in the room to the left of the main chapel, while Francis was to the right. Despite being complete opposites, for some reason, they were both thinking the same thing at this moment. "What the hell are we doing?" Despite this moment of consciousness, they both somehow pulled themselves together.

Getting married in secret wasn't something anyone wanted to do, but for them, it felt right; it felt like the only option they had.

"You both may come out," the priest called. He had an awkward smile on his face. When the two stepped out, you could tell they were mad with jitters as they began looking around. Arthur had tried fixing his hair a bit, but to his dismay, it always ended up the same. Although looking nicer, Francis tried to sober up more than he had been a while ago. He was more concerned about the smell of alcohol on him. He had wished he didn't drink before any of this; then again, how was he supposed to know this would happen?

"Quite stuffy in here..."

"Yeah, or maybe it is just me?"

"The two of you Europeans?"

"YES!" They spoke in unison.

"That makes a lot of sense...alright, just stand in front of each other," the priest spoke. Arthur kept thinking about how he wished he wore a nicer cologne. Francis was curious if he would be sent to double hell for getting married outside a catholic church to a probably atheist man.

"Welcome, family and friends. We are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the marriage of uhhh..." The priest looked to Arthur first.

"Arthur..."

Then to Francis.

"Francis..."

"Arthur and Francis. This is not the beginning of a new relationship but an acknowledgement of the next chapter in their lives together. Arthur and Francis have spent years getting to know each other, and we now bear witness to what their relationship has become. Today, they will affirm this bond formally and publicly. somewhat..." The priest laughed, looking around the empty church.

"Arthur and Francis will mark their transition as a couple not only by celebrating the love between themselves but also by celebrating the love between all of us—including the love of their parents, siblings, extended family, and best friends. Without that love, today would be far less joyous."

"Yikes..." was all Francis and Arthur could think.

"So, I am assuming you might not have vows ready. Would the two of you like to take this moment to say something?" The priest spoke. The two nations looked at each other, shocked, not realizing this was one of the more important parts.

"I WILL GO FIRST!" Arthur spoke.

"EHHHH? NO, I WILL!"

"SHUT UP! I WILL!"

"NO! ME FIRST!"

"No need to fight...one at a time," the priest laughed.

"I will go first!" Arthur spoke. He rolled his eyes at Francis, but it only caused Francis to feel immense joy. "This is my first time doing this, so bear with me. You see, I always had my own thoughts on marriage. I used to think it was something people did for financial stability rather than love. Now, I get it. It isn't about any of those things that you could get out of someone. It is about connecting with the person on a level that shows everyone. I know our circumstance is different, and we...may never tell anyone, who knows...but I promise you that if we do or don't, I will ensure that you are the happiest person in the world. I promise to care for you, in sickness and health...not because I have to...but because I love you. I know I have so much attitude and sarcasm, but please bear with me. I only do it because I know it will make you laugh, and hearing you laugh...well...making you laugh is probably the best thing I can do in a day. I will cherish you till the end of time if you let me. This may seem sudden...but it's been years in the making. It was best for us to elope, and I don't think I am scared anymore..."