Chapter 36: Back to Normal

A:

"Stop," Alieen shouted. "This is the last time we can meet. I'm sorry, A."

As I stand in the desert and stare, I replay all of Alieen's words.

"I mean, isn't this what we all wanted," she said. "Stop! Don't come near! I'm sorry, A."

I then start to see Alieen before my eyes. She was the first thing I saw after falling off Diana's car and waking up. She was the first person to welcome me with open arms. She gave me clothes and food, despite not knowing me. No, despite knowing me. Despite knowing me and what I am capable of, she still offered me help.

"You are who you choose to be," Alieen once told me. "The past is important, yes, but it doesn't determine the future."

I remember clearly the sound of Alieen laughing as I watch that 'Tremor' movie.

All of these memories are running through my head, flashing before my eyes at an unmatched speed. I keep staring into the empty desert. I keep looking at where the van was. I keep waiting for something to happen.

"Maybe I will see the van again. Maybe the others will come back."

I keep watch. I keep standing. I keep waiting, but nothing happens. It is like time had stood still. The wind is quiet. The sands are not moving. Everything is stuck in its place. Finally, I sigh. My shoulders drop and I feel so tired all of a sudden. All my energy is gone without any warning.

"Alieen is not lying," I think. "She is telling the truth. No, it cannot be! She would not just leave me. Would she?"

Voices are battling each other in my head. They are all screaming and shouting at each other. Some of them are telling me that Alieen had not abandoned me, that she will come back. Others are telling me that Alieen had abandoned me and that she will not come back.

I scream as I slam my hands against my head.

"Ahh! This is worst than the headaches! All of you! Shut up!"

I raise one of my hands before slamming it down into the sand. This causes an eruption that shoots sand everywhere. As the sand rains down, I look around and see all the boxes Alieen left me. They are tipped over, with some clothing falling out.

"Oh no."

Getting up to my feet, waving the sand away, I run to the boxes. I first put the boxes back into their upright position. The box with the canned foods is fine but since the box with clothing was opened and some of them fell out, I decide I have to do something.

"Come on," I say, grabbing one of the clothing. As it turns out, the box is filled mostly with spare shirts and even more jackets. "Come on! Come on!"

I shake the shirts and jackets around, trying to get rid of the sand. Despite how much I shake the shirts and jackets, there is still sand in them. I look up and see the sand from the eruption.

"It still raining!"

My teeth push against each other as I watch more sand fall onto the clothes. I scream and swing my hand. I grab all the raining sand with my mind and throw it away. I then shake the shirt again.

"Come on," I repeat. "Come on! Why do you still have sand in you!"

Even without the raining sand, there is still sand in the shirt. It keeps on falling and falling, no matter how much I shake the shirt.

"Sand! Sand! Sand! Nothing but stupid, stupid sand!"

I scream as I rip the shirt in two! I scream as I grab all the jackets and shirts with sand in them and rip them! I tear them to shreds and throw them onto the sand. Inhaling deeply, I then pull back my hand.