5.Let's try different things..

Sophie

"I have read your entire case files and had a discussion with Max as well.. Max was my professor in the university and I did my thesis as well under his leadership." I told Edward.

He looked at me with raised eyebrows probably surprised that I had studied so much at such a young age, well I was a nerd.

"So, do you have any questions for me or about me? After that we could move on with yours.." I suggested to him, so once he knows a little bit about me he could get comfortable..

"You have signed the non disclosure agreement which my assistant had sent right?" Edward had asked.

I was annoyed "Yes, I did Edward, and I hope you do know and understand that we are anyhow not supposed to disclose information about a patient to anyone except during case transfers that too to the particular person we are transferring the case to"

Edward could sense my annoyance so he just nodded and asked me "So, what motivated you to study this and how old are you. You are quite young to finish PhD.."

I rolled my eyes and answered "Well, I assume Max didn't tell you anything about me? Well, I skipped 2 grades in my primary and later I felt I am good at this so chose this instead of business studies which was expected of me, however, since I am managing this centre now, I did finish MBA degree as well while running this centre and managing patients and also did my PhD at the beginning of my career itself."

"I am passionate about helping people and if at least one person feels better or is off alcohol and leads a better life due to the work we do here, I am happy" I continued..

"I get it.. I am in acting and if someone connects to my performance and is happy, I feel accomplished as a performer.. so yeah.." said Edward..

I nodded, thankful he understood me now.

"So, tell me Edward.. what's been going on in your life?" I asked him.

"Well, Max must have told you already.. about my past. I took quite some time before dating.. now I am with Sylvie, she's a good woman, she probably expects commitment of some form.. soon and I don't think I am ready for it, I don't think I can ever be ready for it.. after Elena.." Edward said and became quiet in his own thoughts..

"I understand how you feel Edward.. perhaps Sylvie is enjoying her time with you as well. Did you discuss these things with her..?" I asked him.

"Yes, I told her and though she seemed ok at the beginning of the relationship, these days she does drop me hints.. about commitment and how one can move on after losing love of their lives and commit to someone and find new love.. but I don't want to.. I can't hurt her anymore. I want to break up with her.. probably.. for she can never get what she wants from me." Edward confessed.

Though this is not the standard answer we give patients, I decided to try something with him.. "Yes Edward, you should break up with her and never date again, for women always cling at the end. Initially they would be ok.. but once they start enjoying with you, they get clingy right? So instead of leaving her hanging and breaking her heart, you need to break up with her immediately.. and start focussing more on your work and become a monk again." I told him.

Edward's face showed surprise.. with eyebrows raised he was watching me incredulously. "Like come on , you must be kidding me.. kind of expression".

I wanted to laugh on his face, but didn't. I was in a good mood today and also this case has been Max's for more than 6 years, this man doesn't change and comes here and wastes time , there has been absolutely no progress except the fact that he actually started dating from completely no dating is what I got from Max's notes.

Max said he continues to see him for Edward reminded him of himself when he was younger.. they had more of a friendship than a strictly professional relationship. At this rate, I understood that he would take up my time as well without progress and so I decided to try new strategy with him and see how it would work with this guy.

I did talk to Max about this and Max said, he had tried all sorts of things and suggestions with Edward, but the guy has a huge block and he himself can remove the block.

Elena's case obviously can't define with what he does to his life. Max had been working with him to change his thoughts on this but not much progress. Every time, he comes and says he can't commit and yada yada yada. I understand he lost the love of his life.

In a way I guess we are similar, but I know I have this block and I myself imposed. He knows it too, therapy is not what is needed. He can just live and enjoy life with his self-imposed rules like I do.

"Look Edward, I know what happened with Elena is the worst thing that could happen to someone, I know you have accepted her loss as well, you can't let the people who have left define your feelings towards others in your life." I told him.

"If you have decided you don't want anyone in your life, please accept that decision as well and live with it till you yourself want to break it. You have broken 2 other women's hearts right? With your non commitment rule.. Sylvie would also join the league with them. Doesn't matter.. for it is your final decision.." I told him.

"But.. shouldn't you tell me like my family always tells me..that it's not the way, I need to not hurt women and try to change my thoughts and my processes slowly .." Edward said.

"Ah.. there.. so you do want to change, is it? Then u can Edward,.. it's all in you.." I told him.

He looked thoughtful and said "that's what I haven't been able to do yet.. hence I come to therapy for that.. hopeful I can remove the blocks and fears of mine someday maybe.."

"Max always did know the right words to say to me and to try and nudge me slowly and made me feel like I am becoming a better person.. somehow.. " Edward said. 

"Yeah well I am not Max, I do things a bit differently.. We will try different things.. ok?" I told him.

His face showed his dismay. I tried not to smile. Instead I busied myself with packing my things and suddenly looked up and asked him "Fancy a drive with me? I am leaving.. I will drop you off wherever you need to go, you came by yourself or do you have a driver waiting for you?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A/N: What do you think of Sophie's approach?

Important: Please do not take any advice here as professional advice and if any of you have some emotional issues/blocks related to commitment, kindly visit a professional, this is just a story and advice given is purely fictional and part of story and any new approaches suggested here are for entertainment purposes only.