Chapter 7

Danny closed the door behind the lady and grabbed his phone and tried calling her but of course she didn't answer. Danny chuckled anxiously. "She probably has her phone on silent, sometimes she forgets to turn it back on after school.." He lied. He honestly wished that was the case.

"Well I guess well wait around until she returns."

"Is that really necessary?"

The lady gave him a look, the silent look. Danny sighed. "Would you like anything to drink or eat?" He offered.

"No I'm good, thank you." She looked around the house and wrote down some notes. She opened the fridge and saw there wasn't a lot of groceries.

"I.. I'm going to the store soon.. Had a job interview today.."

"Where?" She asked.

"A restaurant downtown.. I start tomorrow."

"Will she be alone most of the day?" She asked.

"Well she will be in school.. But she wont be alone for long.. Again, she's 13."

She wrote down some more notes and continued to walk around the house. "This your room?" She asked. Danny nodded. It was a bit messy, bed not made, clothes on the floor, and so on. She went through some of his drawers and made her way out of the bedroom. "Where's Amelia's room?" She asked.

"2 doors down.. My parents room is in between ours." She walked down the hall and into Amelia's room which was also messy. She wrote some more notes down. Every time she wrote something down Danny's heart rate would increase. He looked down at his phone and sent out a quick text while she was busy writing.

Amelia felt her phone vibrate a bunch which she knew without looking that her brother was messaging her but choose to ignore it, she just wanted to enjoy the day and not have to think of the reality. Candance and her decided to go to the food court and get some food. Amelia got some chicken nuggets and fries and a chocolate shake. She took a sip of it while she waited for Candance to get her food. She sat at one of the tables, there wasn't a lot of people here since it was a weekday but still a good amount being that it was the mall. Amelia scrolled through her phone when a text from Danny popped up. 'get home now.' Amelia sighed and rolled her eyes and put her phone away. Candance sat down next to her and they ate their food.

Hours went by and eventually they made their way back home, they had to take a bus to get back to their town, they hated being this age and not being able to drive. Amelia couldn't wait until she can get her license and just come and go as she pleased. Once the bus stopped Amelia and Candance got out and hugged each other goodbye and walked in different directions to head home. Amelia made her way up the driveway when she saw a car that she didn't recognize. She unlocked the front door and put her bag down by the front door. "I'm home!" She called out and walked more into the home where she saw Danny and some lady sitting at the kitchen table. Danny's face was clearly pissed but he was trying to hide it in front of the lady. "Uh.. Hi..?" She walked closer and noticed the tag on the lady's shirt which made her let out a sigh.

"Hello, my names Judy." She stood up. "Why don't we sit on the couch and talk, Danny just give us a few minutes." Danny and Amelia gave each other a glance before Danny walked into his bedroom. Amelia sat down on the couch and bit at her nails.

"So where were you?" She asked.

"I went to the mall with my friend."

"Do you do that a lot?"

"Sometimes." She shrugged.

"How do you get there?" She asked.

"A bus or an uber."

"I see." She wrote some notes down. "Did you walk home by yourself?"

"I.. Uh.. No.. My friend walked with me.." She lied.

"Well that's good. How have you been holding up? It must be really hard for you right now."

"Doesn't make it easier that you're showing up." She mumbled.

"I just want to make sure you're safe and being cared for."

"What? You think my brother beats me or some shit?" She rolled her eyes.

"No, of course not, but he's not an adult, I have to make sure he's giving you the right care."

"Well he is."

"How's school going? Do you play any sports?" She asked.

"No, I go to school and then come home."

"No hobbies?" She asked.

"Nope, nothing." She rolled her eyes and leaned back on the couch, getting frustrated.

Judy continued to ask questions about their lives, if her and Danny are close, all the things they could possibly ask. "Okay Danny you can come in" She called out and Danny once again returned. Judy stood up and Amelia continued to stay on the couch. "I'll be back again for routine checks.

"How long are you going to be doing this?" He asked.

"Until I see that this is a safe environment and that you are giving her the proper care, see you soon." She looked over at Amelia and gave her a small smile and then walked out. Danny walked over to the window and waited for her to pull out of their driveway and then looked over at Amelia.

"Where the hell were you??"

Amelia stood up from the couch. "I was out with Candance, is that a crime?"

"No but you didn't answer my phone calls or my texts! You cant just vanish like that! At least tell me where you are!"

"I shouldn't have to tell you everything!! I can do what I want!!"

"Not when I have CPS here breathing down my fucking neck asking me where you are!!"

"That's not my fault!"

"No but you're making things worse! Do you want to be taken away?? With a new family?? Who knows where?? You would never act like this to mom and dad!"

"No I wouldn't because they were my parents! You're not!"

"Trust me, the last thing I want is to parent a fucking child!"

"I'm not a child!!"

"THAN STOP ACTING LIKE ONE!" He yelled.

"You know what, maybe I want to be taken away! Beats dealing with this bullshit!" She yelled back.

"Than fucking leave!!" He yelled.

Amelia grabbed her purse from the floor and walked out the front door and slammed it behind her. As soon as he saw her walk out, he regretted everything he said. He quickly ran to the front door and flung it open. "Amelia!" He called out but she already took off. He walked down the driveway and looked both ways but it was dark. "Amelia!" He called out once more but she was gone.