Chapter 2

The drive to the hospital felt like eternity. Danny and Amelia both have never been inside a cop car before. They never thought they would but if they were they would have thought they did some crime, not going to the hospital to see their parents. Danny was trying to keep a brave face but really, he was so nervous. Amelia kept looking out the window as the cop sped past other cars. It wasn't fair that they didn't have to obey traffic laws, that's what she was thinking. Eventually the cop pulls to the front of the hospital and he hops out, opening the door for them and letting them out. Danny and Amelia both ran inside the hospital and straight to the receptionist. The lady behind the desk informed them to take a seat and they did what they were told. Amelia shook her leg up at down frantically. "Do you think their okay?" She asked.

"I'm sure everything is going to be okay, don't worry".

Soon a doctor came out and took a seat in front of them. "Hello, I'm the doctor that took care of your parents, they got into a car accident, it seems that a drunk driver hit them" The doctor informed them.

"Are they okay?" Danny asked.

"We did all we could.. But the accident wasn't a minor one I'm afraid.. They didn't survive.."

"W.. What..?" Danny stuttered in disbelief. "No.. They cant be.." Amelia immediately started crying and Danny pulled her into a hug and tightly held onto her. His eyes were full of tears but he was trying to stay strong for her.

"I know this is a lot.. But there's someone who wants to talk to you.. Being that you're both children.."

"Seriously? Our parents are dead and you want us to talk to someone?"

"We want to make sure you guys are safe and cared for.."

"Get the fuck out of here" Danny was trying to keep his cool but he was on the verge of slapping the doctor.

The doctor sighed and stood up. "I'm very sorry for your loss." He then walked away and then over to the CPS worker. Danny continued to hug Amelia as she hysterically cried into him. Danny watched the doctor and CPS worker exchange looks and whispers which made him roll his eyes. They didn't need this right now.

After a good amount of time of talking to doctors and seeing their parents Danny had to plan arrangements and prepare for this new life. The CPS worker came over to them while Danny filled out paperwork. "I'm so sorry for your loss." Danny didn't say anything to the lady, he just kept filling out the form. Amelia went to the bathroom to calm herself down. "What are your plans now? With your sister, do you have any family?" She asked. Danny sighed and put the pencil down.

"No, it was only us and our parents."

"Well we can find a great home for her, she can get the love and care she needs."

"Excuse me?" He spoke sternly, in a very pissed off tone.

"We just want to make sure Amelia is okay, we will take care of her."

"She's not going anywhere, she's staying in the same house, with me, I'm taking care of her and that's that."

"You're only 18, you don't have the skills or know how hard it is to take care of a child."

"She's not a baby, she's 13, I can take care of her, she needs me."

"This is going to be very hard Danny, you'd have to fight to get legal guardianship over her, going to court, showing that you can be a responsible guardian, are you sure you can do all that?" She asked.

Danny rolled his eyes. "Of course I can, she's my sister, I can take care of her no problem."

"Well if that's your decision." The lady stood up. "Well speak again soon."

Danny sighed and finished filling out the paperwork and Amelia returned from the bathroom and sat down next to him. "Everything okay?" She asked.

"Everything is fine, I'm done with this paperwork, I'm going to give it to them and well go home." He stood up and handed the paperwork and then got an Uber and they made their way back home.

They both walked in the front door, it didn't feel like the same household anymore. It was more depressing and lonely. Danny sat down at the kitchen table and looked over some paperwork and Amelia went into their parents bedroom. Everything was the way they left it, she sat down on the bed and held one of the pillows close to her body, it still smelt like her mother. She covered her face into it and cried. Danny was looking over paperwork for the funeral and the will. Their parents gave 50% of everything to Danny and the other half goes to Amelia. Luckily Danny would be able to pay the house off its just the normal costs that he needed to pay.

Danny looked at his phone and went online trying to find jobs to apply for. There was servers at restaurants, construction worker, and others. He applied to basically any job he could find and hoped he would hear back soon. He rubbed his head in frustration, this was going to be a struggle but he had to do it. He stood up and walked towards his bedroom and heard Amelia quietly crying. He walked towards his parents bedroom and saw her laying on the bed in a fetal position as she hugged the pillow. Danny sat down on the bed next to her and lightly rubbed her back as she cried. He had no idea how he could make her feel better, he didn't think that was possible. All he could do was be strong for her and be there for her as best as he could.

"I don't think I said goodbye to them.. Or that I loved them.. When they left, I should have hugged them, I should of.." She stopped talking immediately started crying some more.

"You told them you loved them all the time and even if you didn't, they know. Words mean nothing, its our actions, they know you love them."

"What are we going to do now.. I want them back.."

"I do too.. But you'll always have me, I promise."