Thirty-One

My heavy breath was all that filled the car, my head against the headrest as I tried to fight off the pain. With a deep breath in, I moved my hand to open the car door, the window now empty of the glass panel.

I let out a groan of pain as I shoved the door open, my body screaming at me to stop, so I collapsed onto the floor. But I needed to get upstairs, to clean myself up and stop the bleeding.

Walking to the lift only a few feet over, I leaned on the button in hopes it would work. After a minute or so, the door opened. I had to lift my hand up to press the infirmary, trying my best not to move the arm too much or jolt it.

Once I'd pressed the button I just leaned against the wall, not caring if I was bleeding everywhere at this point. I needed to stay awake.

"Ghost girl, you hear me?" I hear Tony's voice say.

Am I hallucinating? Fuck, I didn't realise I'd lost that much blood.

"Bloody Mary, hey, I need you to say something. I can see you on the camera, just need to know you can hear me." He said again.

"Yeah." I said with what strength I could muster.

"Okay. I've got Banner on his way to the lift to grab you when you hit the infirmary, you have any idea how much blood you've lost?" He asked, sounding more concerned.

"A lot." I said, letting out an airy chuckle.

"Good to know. We're gonna be back soon, I'll send Clint and the boy up-"

"No." I huffed.

"No? You've gotta be kidding, right?" He scoffed.

"T-Tony, no. I don't want t-them to-" I stopped as my whole body started falling, a sudden thump to the ground made me scream out in pain.

"Alex!" I heard Bruce shout as the doors opened. My vision fading in and out, but I tried to stay as awake as I could. "I've got you Honey, you're with me now." He said before my body shifted again.

The pain finally got to me as he moved me, my entire body going limp before there was nothing.

I felt lost.

There was nothing, just darkness. Somehow, there was warmth to the darkness though. It felt like there was a door that was closed in front of me, but there was almost as if there was a light on behind it, leaving some kind of low light in the nothingness.

Something appeared. The memory of earlier, before I got back.

A phone call. The person on the other side saying that the Powerbroker wanted to see me, that they wanted to discuss some work they had for me. I hung up, not interested, especially after the conversation I'd had earlier with Clint.

Then, I was jumped. Six of them attacked me, familiar voices from them. My drunken haze made it harder to figure out the voices, but they were people I knew.

Leon was there.

My body stung as I remembered the sting of a blade, just catching my arm. Then gunshots, three shots, two hit me. Knocking the gun from the person, I shot three of them before I was out of ammo.

Blood loss started setting in, the pain becoming harder to ignore at that point. Leon speaking, talking about something to do with the Powerbroker. Before I could respond, he rushed me and picked me up by my throat, no struggle either as I squirmed in his grip.

He threw me, I hit something I think. Then I heard John, but he was telling Leon off for what he was doing. Footsteps neared me as I was on the ground, just trying to catch my breath. The other two were still fighting, this person must of been here to finish me off, but I wasn't scared.