Twenty-Seven

Since I woke up I'd been avoiding the boys. Part of me thought that when they came back they'd greet me a little more personally, not like what actually happened.

I know I was drunk, but it's been hard the last three months. John and Sharon were still trying to contact me, not to mention I'd been contacted by S.W.O.R.D. directly as well as my old Major tried contacting me.

My phone started buzzing as I got down to the garage, I sighed before pulling it from my pocket and answering it without thinking.

"Yeah?" I asked as I walked to my bike.

"Hey, you coming by still?" Matt asked.

"Oh, hey. Yeah, I'm on my way now. Sorry I'm running late." I said letting out an airy chuckle.

"You wanna talk about it now or wait till you get here?" He asked softly.

"I'll talk about it when I get there, see you soon." I sighed.

"Speak soon." He said before hanging up. 

I put my phone back in my pocket and pulled my helmet on before getting on my bike, it was nice to ride it around again since when in Iowa it wasn't exactly interesting on the roads, not like here in New York at least.

Starting my bike I revved the engine a little before making my way out of the garage, it was only about eleven in the morning but I was meant to be over at Matts an hour ago, though it was hard to leave without the boys noticing.

Pulling up out the from of Matts apartment I sat there for a moment, just taking in the day. The skies overhead showed dark thunder clouds which was nice, I always loved the rain. 

I got off my bike and took my helmet off before getting inside, when I got up to Matt's door I heard some soft music playing from inside. 

"Hey." I called out as I got in.

"Perfect timing, did you want a coffee or tea?" He asked as the strong smell of peppermint filled the apartment.

Smells like Steve.

"I'm good, you still not sleeping well?" I asked as I got to the kitchen.

"Clearly, but you aren't either." He chuckled.

"Why are we such messes?" I laughed.

"Have you met us?" He joked.

I sat at the kitchen counter as I watched him make his tea, it was very therapeutic honestly, though it was strange since he was blind and all.

"How was your night after I left?" He asked.

"It could of been better." I sighed.

"Uh-oh, I know that tone." He smirked.

"Oh really?" I asked as I looked over to him.

"They're back, right?"

"Yeah, they came back some time this morning. Like, me being drunk and singing show tunes early." I giggled.

"So, they saw the best of Alex Barton is what I'm hearing." He said before bringing his tea over to where I was.

The strong peppermint and rosehip smell wafted from the mug as he set it near me, he leaned on the counter in front of me and just waited for me to speak, a soft smile on his lips.

"I think I was happier to see them than they were of me.." I trailed off.

"Alex." He said almost frustrated.

"What?" 

"You know they missed you, this is you we're talking about after all." He chuckled.

"Matt, they didn't even say anything when I said I missed them. To be totally honest, the only time I got a reaction is when I was flirting." I sighed.