Chapter 12

"Earl Ambrose Grey!" Millie got out before practically dragging me back inside to get ready really quickly before meeting the Earl. 

An Earl? 

Portia was even more besides herself as I changed into a peach dress with gold trim and a golden rose on the neckline. She wanted me to get into a yellow dress, and I had to remind her that they did not fit properly. Before I knew it, I was seated in front of the Earl with my family in the background, trying to look busy. 

"Lady Penelope Featherington, forgive me for not calling upon you sooner. I had some business to attend to." His voice was deep much like Simon's had been. His black locks were perfectly styled, and his blue eyes were a piercing sort of color. In other words, Hella Handsome.  

He shall be hence forth be called Earl Handsome. 

"Lord Grey, worry not of it. I hope the tea is to your liking." His tea was served skillfully a blend I had Martha learn since it was more of a refreshing blend than the poor shat they were serving before. He raised the tea cup to his lips. His hands were well manicured. His lips rosy and kissable as he sipped on his tea. Shit. 

He is super handsome, I need to get it together! I am a baddie! I need to chill. 

He let out a satisfied sigh and closed his eyes, savoring the tea. 

"Green tea, cranberry, blueberry. Chamomile and a hint of lavender." He said and opened his eyes to look straight into mine. I smiled sweetly at him, and I could feel a blush on my cheeks, too. 

"Indeed, Lord Grey. Though there is also a hint of rosehip in there as well." He brightened and grinned at me. 

"Rosehip. Yes, there was another element to the tea indeed." He looked at the treats on the table. I had some brownies and apple rose tarts prepared earlier today for tea with my family, so they made their way onto the table for this meeting. 

He stared at the treats for a moment before picking up a brownie. He took a bite and let out a little moan. 

"Tis my hope they are also to your liking." I added to play with him a bit. He looked a bit sheepish at that. 

"They are absolutely delicious. Your own special recipe, I assume." his voice had an edge to it as if that question meant more than he let on.

I leaned in a bit closer and gave him my Colgate smile. "Indeed my own secret special recipe. I have many of those." 

His eyes widened, and he hurriedly asked to pomade with me. My mother was all too eager to oblige  sending us out the door with Millie and Sarah.  I had my gloves on and bonnet on my head being guided to the carriage when I noticed Eloise and Daphne with Anthony all getting ready to leave as well. I smiled when Eloise also noticed me and sent me a wave. I gave a gentle wave back and noticed Anthony turned to me and smiled at me. 

Earl Grey then came closer to me. 

"You are acquainted with the Bridgeton family?" he asked out of curiosity. I turned towards him with a soft smile. 

"Indeed. I am good friends with Lady Eloise and her family." He nodded, and I glanced and noticed Anthony now glaring at Earl Grey.  

"Shall we go?" I asked sweetly. He looked at me with a knowing sort of look and helped me into the carriage. I made a show of using genteel movements and resting my hand in his as he assisted me so that Anthony could see it perfectly. 

When we were on our way to the park. I noticed Earl Handsome had a very pensive sort of look as he looked out the window. I doubt he is that interested in me, so there must be something else he wants.

He turned to me with a serious sort of look. 

"You are not the original Penelope, are you?" 

There it is. He must be like me then.

"Lord T. Tyme, I presume." He did a rendition of Surprised Pikachu face. I crossed my legs and leaned back into the seat. "Don't mess with my bag, and I won't mess you up."

He straight up  laughed and got on his knees in front of me.

"You look like a mob boss! Let me be your follower!" I raised a brow at him and looked him up and down.

"Your vibe is off, but sure. Welcome to my rich girl gets wealthier plan."

He laughed and got back in his seat.

"So Anthony Bridgerton is the target?"

I shrug at him.

"Maybe."